Thoughts from the Judges Advocate:

seriously, who ever is putting together the bullsheet needs to exercise a little editorial control. Last month it a front page article about how the public that comes to bbq contests are mouth breathing idiots who are only there to bother the competition teams. This month it is an article about how the judges screw up your entry.

How about we leave the articles about the "dirty truths" in the circular file and publish articles about the positive things about competition bbq.
I actually laughed when I read this quote, as this was the first take I had from last month's paper. However, upon taking a closer look, I whole heartedly agree with managing expectations of the attending public, and like the letter in the current paper with the proposed disclamer.

As for the judging part, if any judge who is also a competitor saw any of those actions in the judging tent, I'm sure the rep would be called at a minimum, and a swift kick in the ass would insue at the maximum.:-D That turn in costs any team a pretty penny and a whole lot of work, even if it is crap. Respect is the key!

I agree with managing expectations, not sugar coating and all the other points made about the content of the articles, I just disgree that the bullsheet is the best place for them.

While it may only get mailed to members, I have seen stacks of them at contests, I see them laying around at bbq joints, my copy stays where visitors might read it, and lots of other places where someone who isnt in on the joke might read it. Remember that whole promoting competition bbq thing?

. . . . . I just disgree that the bullsheet is the best place for them.

Okay, so if not in the BullSheet - where?
How else would / could / should this be handled?
The Reps are not going to catch every infraction, there's just too much going on.
The Table Captain may or may not see it and may or may not feel comfortable correcting a judge on something like that. And then again, the TC really has no authority to do anything other than call for a Rep.
My intent here was to get the attention of those very few judges who do these things. Again, they aren't widespread problems but they are problems.
Unless and until KCBS has a practical continuing education program up and running for our CBJs and TCs there are going to be some people who need some "guidance" every once in a while.

Oh wait, I forgot that you are a board member....one of the recently elected 4, right. now everything makes sense.

After reading everyone's comments I am certainly glad that Dave posted that article. I've been repping since 1987 (no jokes here, please!), and the incidents have happened, but rarely. The best a rep can do is correct it when it's seen or reported. And believe me, reps work hard to keep things in control. MOST judges are courteous and take their judging seriously and table captains try their best. When one comes along that doesn't like playing by the rules they usually are not invited back.

I, for one being a cooker, rep and CBJ Instructor, find relief that this article is reaching many more people than I could alone. So I thank you, Dave, for writing it up and I certainly look forward to more educational articles.
Keep up the good work!

Bunny Tuttle
KCass BBQ

Not sure if I agree with his comments, which I just read (yes, I am late to the game), as my wife and I have never experienced any of the table captains actions mentioned.

Now, I can say, that we have seen what would appear to be judges that just take one small bite, and quickly toss the rest in a zip-loc baggie for snacks later on. We were of course not so sure about their intentions to their being there in the first place.

wallace

They should ban coolers! I judged a Comp and a large percentage of the judges were more concerned with filling their cooler. Pissed me off.

Back