Chicken thigh cook time question....

W

wormdrink67

If I had 8 medium sized (about the size of your standard computer mouse) thighs in a pan with butter on the smoker at 230 degrees, how long do you guys think it would take them to hit 174 IT....?? Or, how long would it take for them to get done....?? Thanks in advance.

i would say close to 2 hours, but i dont cook mine in a pan. and i cook em around 250. so i guess my input for you is worthless. :crazy:

In a pan with butter...now that's specific. Oh,except 174 degrees. I will go to my padded room now.

Thanks moderator.

Roughly 2.5 hours. But I'd recommend kicking that temp up to 275+. I've never had good luck at 230 - skin turns to rubber. Also, I'd recommend pulling them at 165-170 IT.

Roughly 2.5 hours. But I'd recommend kicking that temp up to 275+. I've never had good luck at 230 - skin turns to rubber. Also, I'd recommend pulling them at 165-170 IT.

I agree.

To avoid the rubber skin, scrape it to make it thinner.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

+1 I also recommend cooking the chicken at a much higher temperatuire than 230* unless you are going to finish them on a hot grill.

At 225-230 cook it 2.5 with the skin down. Flip it skin up and crank the heat for 30 minutes. This is also the time to sauce if you're going to (I don't use high sugar sauces so fair warning). The skin will be decently bite through...mine always used to be when I used that method. Times will vary with chicken size.

These days I tend to just cook around 325 and not worry about it.

Back