• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

I've Hooked Another One ~ Guy From Work Buys First Smoker

thirdeye

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Reaction score
A guy I work with has been building an upright backyard smoker in his spare time, and he has a way to go, so he started looking around for something to cook on now, and he wanted something portable..... So I recommended a WSM-18 and it arrived yesterday. He was stoked.

He has sampled some of my cookin'..... pulled pork, pastrami, fatties, smoked cheese, etc., so I naturally volunteered to give him an assortment of rubs to check out, and I have him some apple, cherry, alder, guava and hickory.

1-11-13008aa.jpg

He has cruised the TVWB for tips on WSM fire starting and management, and a couple of Q sites for ideas :rolleyes:. I'll be seeing him Monday or Tuesday and will recommend he join us here. Anyways, today was his first cook.... and he cut his teeth on fatties with 3 different rubs. When I talked to him everything was chugging along just fine,.. and this afternoon he sent me his first Q pron.... he is off to a good start. I think a loin or a rack of ribs will be next.

Briansfatty1-11-13aa.jpg

Good job.............Get him doing a shoulder, :-D

Yep, I'm thinking after 4 or 5 hours on ribs, the next logical step will be a butt or chuckie. A 2 or 3 bone prime is an easy cook too, just not as value conscious as the others..... Butts are $1.58 here for a 2 pack...For $24 we could get 2-8 pounders and each have one to cook next weekend.... $12 is not bad for a butt.

He sounds like our kind of guy. I am looking forward to meeting him here!

Sent from my Android phone.

I love doing that with people... Give them good BBQ and then help them start their own. That is why I have built so many UDS's... People get really excited and friggin' happy when they can make good Q. Fun stuff!

I love doing that with people... Give them good BBQ and then help them start their own. That is why I have built so many UDS's... People get really excited and friggin' happy when they can make good Q. Fun stuff!

One year a buddy asked for some help with a rib cook for a high school football team 'parents party' he was hosting. He had about 15 racks of spares. We prepped them together, I sort of clued him in on what I was going to do, then I wound up drinking beer and babysitting the pit while he tended other stuff inside, and schmoozed with a few guests... long story short, I had them finished and into a holding oven, but he never actually saw the full process. I cleaned up the cooker, then left, and the party was a big success. Six months goes by and he's having a birthday party and a lot of folks requested he make his ribs. So.... I get a phone call: "uh,... can you remind me again how I make my ribs?". I haven't let him forget that one.

Good on ya to pass along all them good rubs and knowledge. I started taking in leftovers and now one guy at work owns my old gasser, another guy owns a uds and his wife had me hide out a 22.5 wsm for his xmas present, another guy just purchased the 18.5 wsm that was listed in the trading post here and on the appleton craigslist, and a fourth guy is saving up for a 22.5 wsm. My boss just got an electric smoker for xmas after we introduced him and his hunting party to twin packs of butts, and yet another guy bought a barrel and has been collecting uds parts. That makes six out of a shop that employs about 35 full time people. People just get addicted to this stuff............

Good on ya brother. I love doing the same every chance I get. My friends aren't lucky enough to get that variety of rubs from me though. You have a very lucky friend, make sure you send him here so we can tell him so. :thumb:

I just hooked a co-worker as well...his WSM 18 should make it to his place today. :biggrin1:

Nice work!

...house by house...neighborhood by neighborhood, town by town...

Back