Smoked Armadillo Eggs

midnight

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Tried a new recipe from the book "Peace Love and Barbecue".
They called it smoked armadillo eggs.

2 lbs uncooked sausage (like for a fatty)
Jalapeno peppers
cream cheese
onion powder, garlic powder, white pepper
yellow food coloring

Stuff the japs with a mix of cream cheese and spices, colored yellow with the food dye.

Put 1 pepper in the middle of a sausage patty and mold the sausage around the pepper.
Smoke like a fatty.

When done slice the "egg" so it looks like an egg with a yellow yoke.

It turned out pretty good. I used it on a biscuit with a fried egg, very good.

Those have always been a staple snack at our deer lease. We have always used cheddar cheese though. They sell them at the TX State Fair also.

ahh thillin?
Remember I'm a city boy and a yankee, but what's a deer lease?

BrooklynQ said:
ahh thillin?
Remember I'm a city boy and a yankee, but what's a deer lease?

If you can't afford to buy the whole deer, you just pay for the portion you plan to use. :roll:

There are tons of farmers and timber companies with land sitting with little income during hunting seasons...they lease out the lands to hunters.

Damn, I got a whole herd of Deer in the yard and you don't have to waste drinking time hunting'em!

Could be shot, gutted, skined and in the smoker in less than a hour.

What is the going rate for a deer lease?

It all depends. Down here in Deep South Texas, the right to shoot a trophy buck starts at $2500. A large lease will run you 15K and that would get you 1 trophy, 1or2 cull bucks, 2 or 3 does, 1 bull Nilgai, 2 Cow Nilgai, 2 pigs, 2 turkeys.

My company had a lease on the Kenedy Ranch which is adjacent to the King Ranch, but we passed when the leases went over 12K a year.

Deer in South Tx are small, but have huge racks, just like we like our women.

thillin said:
Those have always been a staple snack at our deer lease. We have always used cheddar cheese though. They sell them at the TX State Fair also.

I like the sound of this one more. I'll try it but one question: Will fresh cored japs work best?

I have been doing something similiar to this but put pepper jack cheese instead of cheddar. Try wrapping them in bacon too.

How did you like the book. I've looked through it at the place the writer owns but haven't bought it yet.

I loved the book. If your looking for a recipe book I would buy something else like Smoke and Spice. But if you want some good barbeque "stories" along with info on the who's who of Q mixed with a little bbq history,then this is the right book.

midnight said:
I loved the book. If your looking for a recipe book I would buy something else like Smoke and Spice. But if you want some good barbeque "stories" along with info on the who's who of Q mixed with a little bbq history,then this is the right book.

Haven't got Smoke and Spice yet but I have another book by the same authors. Husband and wife team I beleive. Southwestern cooking. Good book to read about history of southwestern cooking and some rock solid recipes. Best tamales I've ever tasted.

chargriller said:
How long do you smoke for and what temp do you use?

I did mine for about an hour and 15 min. at 230 deg. some of the cheese was starting to ooze out but not too bad. Next time I am going to try them with some cheddar cheese.

Bigdog said:
Kevin said:
Best tamales I've ever tasted.

Kevin,
Which book has the tamale recipe? I am both a tamale and cookbook junkie.

The Border Cookbook by Cheryl Alters Jamison and Bill Jamison.
Tried to post a link from Amazon but it was too long.

midnight said:
I used it on a biscuit with a fried egg, very good.

Serving it with a fried egg sold me. Sounds like a very good side dish for eggs. I`m about to reheat some Q`ed beef tenderlion with eggs for my GF`s birthday and this armidillo egg thing has me thinking?

Thanks for the recipe!

RE: Re: Smoked Armadillo Eggs

I'm going to try this one. Thanks for the info midnight.

Kevin said:
Bigdog said:
Kevin said:
Best tamales I've ever tasted.

Kevin,
Which book has the tamale recipe? I am both a tamale and cookbook junkie.

The Border Cookbook by Cheryl Alters Jamison and Bill Jamison.
Tried to post a link from Amazon but it was too long.

Thanks Kevin. I just ordered it at Amazon.

I made some of these for Fridays challange,and someone actually asked me where did i get the eggs.I want to say "here's your sign", it was all i could do to explain them to him with a straight face. :lol:

midnight said:
Stuff the japs with a mix of cream cheese and spices, colored yellow with the food dye.

How about using Tumeric instead of the dye?

Or instead fry some onions until soft, add the garlic and fry a little, add tumeric to colour. Let to cool before mixing into the cheese (could substitute a mixture of grated and creamed cheese instead of just creamed?).

Back