Hot and fast or low and slow for a first brisket?

glaudds

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I am having a really hard time deciding which route to go for my first brisket after reading and digesting all the info on this site. The collective experience is staggering!

So, knowing what you all know now, which method would you suggest a noob try and master first? Low and slow, hot and fast, or doesn't matter...just smoke the dang thing!:mrgreen:

I'll be smoking on a Vision Kamado using a combo of lump and kingsford competition.

My trend has been at the high side of the low and slow or the low end of the hot and fast...depending on which way you look at it which is 275.

275 seems to be my sweet spot for butt or brisket.

Operate at the temp your cooker likes to ride and pull when the thickest part of the flat probes tender.

Look like I'm learnin' sumthin' up in here? :D

Okay, here is the real advice. It doesn't really matter, you can get there either way. The important thing, is to choose one, and to stick with the techniques designed for that method of cooking. And, to remember that internal temperature and pit temperature are just aids in getting to the end result.

Low and Slow, Hot and Fast, the key is to cook the meat until it is done, on the cooker. That means probe tender, or until it feels very tender to the touch. Once that is done, then wrap and rest for at least one hour if Low and Slow, and two hours if Hot and Fast.

As a relative rookie myself I would say go with the hot and fast method to start out and then move towards low-and-slow once you get the hang of it. I've done all my smokin' low & slow so far and while I've gotten good product I haven't been totally satisfied with what I've churned out so far and I get the sense that hot 'n fast will give you a good smoke but still juicy and tender end-product.

Also, trying to manage temps for 4-5 hours sure beats trying to manage temps for 9-11 hours!

My trend has been at the high side of the low and slow or the low end of the hot and fast...depending on which way you look at it which is 275.

275 seems to be my sweet spot for butt or brisket.

medium and moderate. Why push the limits?
I'm a half-fast kind of guy

lol...those weren't choices. You guys just added another wrench in the decision process.:decision:

I was a low and slow guy before I found this site and read up on hot and fast. I have done two briskets using HnF since and they have come out really good.

In fact, I think the last one I did was my best ever. It was an 11 lb'er. Cooked it at 275 - 300. I wrapped in butcher paper at 180 and pulled when probe tender, which turned out to be 210. Total cook time was 6 hours and another hour to rest.

I do notice and others have pointed it out here, that both the stall and probe tender happen at a higher temps than low and slow. Not sure why that is, but good to be aware so you don't get anxious about the temps and pull it too soon.

You should definitely not deprive yourself of the low and slow variety. It will give you great appreciation for the work that goes into great brisket. We all had to pay our dues.:biggrin1:

Then leave giving up a full day in the past and enjoy the hot and fast.

Operate at the temp your cooker likes to ride and pull when the thickest part of the flat probes tender.

Look like I'm learnin' sumthin' up in here? :D

Okay, here is the real advice. It doesn't really matter, you can get there either way. The important thing, is to choose one, and to stick with the techniques designed for that method of cooking. And, to remember that internal temperature and pit temperature are just aids in getting to the end result.

Thanks....makes total sense.

I'm a half-fast kind of guy :-D

250 - 275, but if you cooker wants to settle at a different temp don't fight it.

THIS. My WSM likes to run about 250 but some days with burn a little hotter. Just go with it :twisted:

I'm a half-fast kind of guy :-D

250 - 275, but if you cooker wants to settle at a different temp don't fight it.
In general, I follow this advice, largely because I am lazy and don't want to fuss with things a lot. But, I believe there is a difference between meats cooked at 225F, and meat cooked at 325F, even if you cook the meats correctly, for each heat range and method, there is a textural and flavor difference.

I am a big believer in trying all kinds of techniques and styles of cooking. I think the more you learn about cooking in different ranges and styles, the better overall cook you become. My UDS naturally seems to want to settle around 280F to 290F grate temperature, with one valve open. So that is where I run most cooks. But, I will fight the temperature down to 225F from time to time.

Just some thoughts

There are exceptions to the rule but if i had to fight to keep certain temps i'd consider getting a different smoker. Like above certain types of meat i want cooked at different temps for a variety of reasons. I'm not just going to let my pit settle into what ever temp it wants and just go with it.

There are exceptions to the rule but if i had to fight to keep certain temps i'd consider getting a different smoker. Like above certain types of meat i want cooked at different temps for a variety of reasons. I'm not just going to let my pit settle into what ever temp it wants and just go with it.
My Kettle will settle in and sit at 275F most all day long with the bottom vent closed fully. To get it to 225F for a long cook, I would need to better seal bottom vents or use small batches of charcoal more often.

I have a new smoker on the way, but someones you gotta do with what you got ;)

Perhaps if the OP could offer up what type of cooker he plans to use, advice could be more specific to the controls available.

My Kettle will settle in and sit at 275F most all day long with the bottom vent closed fully. To get it to 225F for a long cook, I would need to better seal bottom vents or use small batches of charcoal more often.

I have a new smoker on the way, but someones you gotta do with what you got ;)

Perhaps if the OP could offer up what type of cooker he plans to use, advice could be more specific to the controls available.
He said he's using a Vision Kamado, definitely should be able to dial in his desired temp with that.

First where does your pit preform the best with the least amount of Stress on you? This should be the biggest factor in determining how you cook. Wresting with temps IME is one of the biggest attributing factors to a cook gone wrong, a stressed cook gets frustrate and a frustrated cook is an impatient cook and they tend to do erratic things. "My pit was Running to hot and I was afraid I might mess it up and dry it out so I pulled it it wasn't exactly probing tender" OR "We got tired & hungry so I called it it was tough & dry"
Domminos delivery aint BBQ
Planning> Make a Plan & stick to it! Allow plenty of time there is nothing wrong with finishing ahead of schedule.

Follow the rules they will never ever fail you.
BBQ RULES FOR SUCCESS

YOU CAN NOT COOK GREAT BBQ ON A CONSISTENT BASIS BY COOKING TO AN INTERNAL TEMPERATURE OR BY TIME ( XXX MIN PER LB) YOU MUST COOK BY FEEL! For Brisket it must pass the poke test(probe like soft butter in the thickest part of the Flat) Ribs pass the Bend Test, Pork Butts when the bone wiggles loose. These are the only reliable methods to ensure that your cook will be a success. There is one exception to these rules and that is Poultry which must achieve and internal temp of 170 deg in the thickest part of the thigh and 165 in the breast.

Me I like to start late & finish early I cook at 300+ I'm to old to stay up all night like I used ta and spend 3 days recovering. IMO H&F tastes better, may be because My tallywacker anit plowing furrows behind me by the time it's done.

He said he's using a Vision Kamado, definitely should be able to dial in his desired temp with that.
Missed that...thanks! I agree. Looks much easier to fine tune the intake vent than on my OTG.

Back