• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Creekstone Farms - Prime Brisket

I just finished trimming one for competition this weekend. I'm cooking it side by side with a CAB. The Creekstone has a thicker flat and both have very good marbling, i'd say equal, $1 per pound price difference.

I just finished trimming one for competition this weekend. I'm cooking it side by side with a CAB. The Creekstone has a thicker flat and both have very good marbling, i'd say equal, $1 per pound price difference.

Only a $1 per lb price difference? What are you paying a lb for the Creekstone?

In my opinion, waygu has a different flavor then prime. It is earthy and rich. It almost tastes like a portabella mushroom. You can't get that same flavor with a prime. You can make a good brisket, but it will be different.

Eggspert

I would have to kind of disagree. I think Wagyu has a much beefier flavor, but not necessarily different... When I smell a raw wagyu, I almost want to eat it right there!:-D

There is a local grocery store that is starting to carry some of their cut's. I inquired on getting briskets and they came back with $7 to $8 a lb and I'd have to by the whole case at a 60 lb average. Still kicking the idea around of ordering a case and splitting it with a friend. This thread is helping me make up my mind though.

The local grocer is taking you for a ride. I can get cases of creekstone prime locally for $3ish a pound. That sounds great but the problem is that since all the comp teams started buying them they only ship the small packers in cases. They save all the big nice briskets for mail order now. I can't do anything with a case of 11lbers.

The local grocer is taking you for a ride. I can get cases of creekstone prime locally for $3ish a pound. That sounds great but the problem is that since all the comp teams started buying them they only ship the small packers in cases. They save all the big nice briskets for mail order now. I can't do anything with a case of 11lbers.

I think that it's more the distributer for the New England region more than it's the local store setting the price. But even through their web site, I'm still looking at $100 to $120 a brisket.

Just ordered a16 to 18 lb one yesterday, (really nice people) got my KCBS discount and I can't wait to smoke it up. Got a comp on July 12th 13th and will use it for that. My brisket has been getting better and better, hope this will give me the little extra that I am looking for.

Wow that's a deal!

I can get choice for that if I go to one of the distributor's @ Hunts Point Market. Most local grocers in this area charge more than that for whole choice brisket no matter what the brand is. The last time I was @ RD their National Brand Angis briskets I think were $2.79lb case price.

a cow is graded by its ribeye ....so a brisket is not even looked at in the grading process...it is just assumed if the ribeye is good then the rest of the animal is prime grade

If you can find em, national beef is the best choice brisket out there. We have cooked em all. Tried the wagyu and placed a few times but never did any better. Even a select brisket can have good marbling. This is the typical marbling in the national choice cab packers.
1B26B659-D5D5-4805-A768-7E1A612525D1-3396-00000475E4FA03FE.jpg

Flat ends
60FA109F-D43B-496D-93E3-916003BE4875-6128-00000749D0A83243.jpg

DE663CC1-FF12-4761-970B-38729B63B0EB-969-0000016B7F75758F.jpg

Wow that's a deal!

I can get choice for that if I go to one of the distributor's @ Hunts Point Market. Most local grocers in this area charge more than that for whole choice brisket no matter what the brand is. The last time I was @ RD their National Brand Angis briskets I think were $2.79lb case price.

If I had a restaurant perhaps. I can't do anything with a case of 11lb packers. Two years ago I got cases that had five 17lb prime packers inside for $2.25lb. It was cheaper than the local grocers had choice. Now its just way hit or miss on size and quality. I've given up. I'm just cooking the biggest packers I can find from RD now. I'm sure I'm leaving something on the table but I'll shoot for a low call with my junky choice stuff and keep some money in my pocket.

I've looked at the RD briskets, and some of them look really good I think!..

Have used Creek Stone for sometime now and its the last. Got a case in and they were all small and didn't cook up well. Most we tough and the point were so small that you could just barely get enough burnt ends to turn in. Going back to choice angus had more walks then.

If I had a restaurant perhaps. I can't do anything with a case of 11lb packers. Two years ago I got cases that had five 17lb prime packers inside for $2.25lb. It was cheaper than the local grocers had choice. Now its just way hit or miss on size and quality. I've given up. I'm just cooking the biggest packers I can find from RD now. I'm sure I'm leaving something on the table but I'll shoot for a low call with my junky choice stuff and keep some money in my pocket.

Curious as to why you would pick the largest. Wouldn't a larger packer mean an older cow, hence a tougher cow, and a smaller packer be from a smaller, younger, more tender cow?

Curious as to why you would pick the largest. Wouldn't a larger packer mean an older cow, hence a tougher cow, and a smaller packer be from a smaller, younger, more tender cow?

Great question! I wonder about this too. Who knows, maybe this conversation is going to get into the "left, or right side brisket". :heh:

I've looked at the RD briskets, and some of them look really good I think!..

The last two comps we cooked a creekstone prime along side a RD and turned the RD in both times. We did turn in the burnt ends off the creekstone but the flavor on the RD flat was better. Go figure. We didn't get a call in either comp but the scores weren't terrible so I think we are just going to save ourselves a $100 a comp and keep on keeping on. That being said our briskets we cooked a couple years ago were better IMO and judges agreed. We haven't changed a thing so brisket quality is the only thing I can mark it down to.

I've never had a problem getting them tender. The larger (and usually fattier) packers are more forgiving when it comes to drying them out IMO. I like a nice thick flat and well marbled point. That usually comes on the bigger packers. You can get great results on a smaller packer I just like the added insurance of a big (thick) packer.

Here is a pic from our first creekstone case 2 years ago. This case accounted for 3 consecutive brisket wins. We had 4 overall that season in I think 9 contests. We haven't won brisket since. haha. These things were beautiful. I felt guilty taking the trophies.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    109.9 KB · Views: 181
Back