Dome lid on UDS

smokeyw

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
My UDS has a Kingsford lid. It fits tight and seals very well. However, after a couple of butt smokes, the lid will be so sticky and gummy you can't lift it off without prying it up with a screwdriver. I have been cleaning the lip of the lid with laquer thinner and a rag when it gets like this. Does anyone else have this problem and how do you deal with it?

My UDS has a Kingsford lid. It fits tight and seals very well. However, after a couple of butt smokes, the lid will be so sticky and gummy you can't lift it off without prying it up with a screwdriver. I have been cleaning the lip of the lid with laquer thinner and a rag when it gets like this. Does anyone else have this problem and how do you deal with it?

could you grind down the drum edge a little bit?

That would be a possible solution. I was just wondering if any others were having this issue. I know a lot of people talk about flattening the rim of the lid and then fitting it on the drum by tapping it back down. This works but does make for a tight fit. Mine was fine until it got gummed up.

could you grind down the drum edge a little bit?

Yes. I have this issue as well. Last time I tried to lift the lid off, I literally picked up the whole farkin drum by the lid handle! I use a weber kettle lid for mine. I also have to literally use a pair of pliers to open the lid vent as well. On top of that, mine only sits on the drum on it's thin edge. It won't fit OVER the lip of my drum, which amazes me even more. It's only holding on by the thickness of the sheet metal the lid is made out of!

Time to clean I guess.......:rolleyes:

if i have not used mine for a while i have to use my propain torch to get the lid off. a few times around the lid with fire and its good. don't go slow enough to burn anything but just to heat it up.

This happens to me too. Try cleaning the inside of your lid completely with some kind of degreaser like Simply Green or whatever you prefer.

After you give it a good cleaning I wonder if a shot of Pam would be a temporary fix.... allowing you to wipe it down easier before sludge builds up.

I've had it happen, when you're done smoking, take a rag or paper towels and wipe the drum rim and lid lip off.

That happened to me, and adding a water pan got rid of the problem. All that
fat dripping on the fire creates that tar-like liquid mess. To make matters
worse, that same stuff is getting on your food. No thanks.

Prior to adding the water pan I was getting my head handed to me in
competition. After adding it, my scores went back to where they were with
my WSM.

I only use the pan for long cooks (butts and brisket).

Just my experience,
John

I can see where adding a water pan would eliminate this issue. Steam is a good cleaner. However, I happen to love the flavor created by the grease dripping in the coals, especially when cooking butts. That is the main reason I built the UDS. I know personal taste varies when it comes to this but that is my $.02 on it.

That happened to me, and adding a water pan got rid of the problem. All that
fat dripping on the fire creates that tar-like liquid mess. To make matters
worse, that same stuff is getting on your food. No thanks.

Prior to adding the water pan I was getting my head handed to me in
competition. After adding it, my scores went back to where they were with
my WSM.

I only use the pan for long cooks (butts and brisket).

Just my experience,
John

I used an el-cheapo dome lid from an old happy cooker, it didn't fit tight and I had this problem from leakage. I got some stove door rope at Ace hdwe. and installed it in the lip of the dome. No more leakage or sticking. Hope this helps.

So basically the problem here is that all the sticky gunk that is floating around inside the smoker condensates on the top of your lid and then runs down the side of the lid and into crack between the lid and the drum.

So what if you put a line of heat-proof epoxy or sealant or something all the way around the inside of the lid at the point where the lid starts heading downward vertically. That should cause the liquid to "pool" there and drip down into the coals or onto the bottom of the drum. You would still get some gunk build-up in your lid/drum crack, but a lot less.

(hopefully that made some sence)

I used an el-cheapo dome lid from an old happy cooker, it didn't fit tight and I had this problem from leakage. I got some stove door rope at Ace hdwe. and installed it in the lip of the dome. No more leakage or sticking. Hope this helps.

That is a great idea! Thanks!

Take the good with the bad. Wipe it off frequently and consider it part of the process. 2¢

Back