• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Intro and Wine Barrel Smoker Project Build Thread

3lbs of beef, cut, sliced, marinated, and towel dried; ready for smokin
nsuds16.jpg

Glad I did 2 racks cause I just filled them both!
nsuds17.jpg

nsuds18.jpg

You know its great when it's a clssic from the day it's built - simply beautiful

It's cold enough right now outside, so I ran to the store really quick and got a bunch of the good stuff.

Just put 4 cheeses on the smoker right now. (8:45PM PST)
Using AMNPS with apple dust

Munster (Top right)
Extra Sharp Cheddar (Top Middle)
White Cheddar Aged 9 mo (Center Middle)
and Gouda (all the slices)

Plan to smoke for 45 mins then vac seal to the fridge for a week or more.

nsudscheese.jpg

Well hmmm. Just looked and it does not look very smoky at all.
So lit the other side of the AMNPS for double the smoke, and going another round of 30-45 mins.

I was at a comp in Selah, WA and a guy had a couple wine barrels smokers and he used Smokey Joe knock offs for his heat source.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Excellent wood working skills. Wish I was so talented.

Not the biggest fan of smoker build posts (makes me feel jealous and inadequate). But I could read this thread all day. Just beautiful!

I've been so busy this summer my poor baby has gotten dusty.
Time to dust her off and get her running again!!!!
Perhaps some ribs tomorrow!?!?!!!

Looks amazing! I love your work. Nice clean look, and the finish is really great.

Keeping the wood from drying out is going to be really hard to do, especially if you hot smoke in it. Bob's idea of mineral oil is a good one, but it will probably take a lot, and often. Wood does crazy stuff as it takes on and loses water. Being filled with liquid and now being exposed to hot dry air is a huge swing in humidity and moisture content for the wood. This may be a hard hurdle to overcome. Only cold smoking in it could help, but I think it's still going to dry out and contract. Harbor Freight sells an el Cheapo moisture tester for wood. It can help you keep an eye on it. Maybe you leave a humidifier running inside it between cooks?

Back