Tex-Mex Inspired Slaw

MS2SB

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I've been playing around with variations on traditional slaw recipes to more closely pair with the dishes I'm serving it with. Last night I did some pan seared black cod and wanted to pair it with a Tex-Mex/Baja style slaw. This is what I came up with

Dressing:
3T Light flavored olive oil
Juice of 1 -2 limes about 3T
2 cloves Garlic Minced
1/4-1/2 Jalapeno finely diced
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp Colman's Dry Mustard
12 tsp celery seed
Salt & Pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients in a glas container with a tight fitting lid and shake vigorously. Let sit for at least 1 hour before adding to salad and as long as 24 hours.

Slaw:
- 1 small head green cabbage shredded (I used savoy because I wanted a little softer texture than regular green cabbage)
- 2 carrots shredded
- 1-2 Cups jicama shredded (For those not familiar, jicama is kind of like a cross between a potato and an apple and it adds a nice crunchy texture to salads & slaws)
- 3-4 green oinons sliced
- 1 poblano pepper roasted and diced

Toss all the veg together and then coat with the dressing (I only used about 2-3 of it, but I like my slaws lightly dressed) and then let sit for the flavors to marry for about 1-hour before serving.

This was a great light tasting slaw with a lot of flavor and texture to it. It paired very well with the fish and would make a great addition to a lot of tex-mex/baja style dishes.

Sounds great, I would never have thought of using Celery seed, I do love celery.
Does the Jicama brown off like apple can ?

I've never had a problem with that. In this instance there's enough acid in the dressing to prevent that. If you can't find jicama, a granny smith apple would work as a substitute.

Same here. I think we have everything to make it, too. We'll have to give it a try tomorrow.

Back