• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Scored a truck load of Oak.

V-wiz

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
My parents neighbor hired the city to trim the oak tree, so we asked them to just throw the branches over to our yard :D.

And now i got me a good stack of Red Oak. Should be nice in the Wood fired oven.

ajw074.jpg

Its deffinetly red oak. I know what oak looks like and the city was involved in trimming this tree. They had to pull permits to trim oak because there is a serious fine here in CA if you touch oak without permission.

I guess red oak looks different in CA then it does in NH. I guess if I saw it in person it might look different than the picture does.

I would not count on the fact because the city says it is oak means it is oak. Towns and cities make misakes

Hard to tell from branches cause the bark is not fully developed yet, but definatly not what we call red oak in Arkansas... none the less.. still some kind of oak or hardwood and plenty good for smokin'.

Down here we call red oak "cat sh%* oak". It has a dark center and sour smell when fresh cut. But we have plenty of it. Probably the most comon fire wood and I also smoke with it but it must be left on the rack untill fully dried.

You are going to love the oak V!
Makes a great coal bed and a lot less ash than maple or other hardwoods. It is all I try to use in the WFO...
Nice score.:thumb:
adc15218-0147-4b78-a86d-5eb748db776d_zpsc4e6539c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

You are going to love the oak V!
Makes a great coal bed and a lot less ash than maple or other hardwoods. It is all I try to use in the WFO...
Nice score.:thumb:
adc15218-0147-4b78-a86d-5eb748db776d_zpsc4e6539c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Niceeeee.... Thats what i love to see. I cant wait to stack them logs in there. Ill have to oven dry them as they are still pretty wet.

Sure that's not a Coastal Live Oak, Quercus agrifolia? Red Oak is non native and would not require permits to remove or trim. Just sayin'.

I hope Live Oak wood is good for smoking with, as that is what I have lots of available.

Back