THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HankB

is Blowin Smoke!
IOW "Yet another pastrami thread. :becky:

I reported on brisket I found at a price that made me happy. Here's what I got:

DSC_8808-PP.png

One was a little over 8 1/2 lb and the other just a bit over 9. They went on the 18 WSM with some oak and a little mesquite. The WSM settled in at about 240°F. At 5 hours I cut about 4 lb. from the top piece and brought it inside to finish like typical corned beef and cabbage. I boiled it with some carrots and potatoes and just before I was ready to eat, I put some cabbage in.

Here it is before going into the pot.

DSC_8819-PP.png

And ready to eat, :D

DSC_8821-PP.png

It was still a little firm at that point. It was good but I left it on at a simmer until SWMBO got home. I sliced off a couple more pieces and it was just about perfect.

A little later I brought the rest in off the smoker at about 10 hours total.

DSC_8825-PP.png

Before resting it, I had to slide a bot off to taste. ;)

DSC_8826-PP.png

It was really good! Perhaps a tad salty, but very tasty! (I only soaked it for an hour prior to smoking.)

I want life to give me briskets. Lol

Man the look good.
On a side note. How did you cook the cabbage?

I want life to give me briskets. Lol

Man the look good.
On a side note. How did you cook the cabbage?
Thanks.

I brought a piece of the brisket in after about 5 hours on the smoker and put it in a pot and just covered with water. I added potato chunks and carrots after it had simmered a couple more hours. Just before I was ready to eat, I set the cabbage wedges around the outside and cooked them until they were done and took the cabbage off. I don't like mushy cabbage! When SWMBO got home, I dropped one of the cabbage wedges back in the pot (I had simmered the corned beef a little longer) and in seconds, it was warm enough to serve. :thumb:

Back