• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Any Predictions

Anybody listen to the meeting? Any board members talking to us these days?

The motion that was passed is below.

I move that the definition of PORK be changed as follows:

Pork: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Picnic and/or Whole Shoulder, being one piece, weighing a minimum of five (5) pounds (bone in or bone out).

This Rule change will go into effect for the 2014 BBQ season.

Randy withdrew his motion after the BoD passed mine.

The motion that was passed is below.

I move that the definition of PORK be changed as follows:

Pork: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Picnic and/or Whole Shoulder, being one piece, weighing a minimum of five (5) pounds (bone in or bone out).

This Rule change will go into effect for the 2014 BBQ season.

Randy withdrew his motion after the BoD passed mine.

This change replaces the current pork rule in its entirety???

"PORK: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Picnic and/or Whole
Shoulder, weighing a minimum of five (5) pounds. Pork shall
be cooked whole (bone in or bone out) and shall not be
separated during the cooking process. At no time shall the
meat once separated be returned to a cooker."

If this is the case, then it creates a whole new and different category of cooking pieces of pork at different temperatures and times after inspection.

Thanks for letting us know Dave. I personally think this is a huge mistake but I do appreciate you being available here.

Look at it this way. You've got a whole year to work on your grilling techniques! :decision:

I don't understand why we have to show up with a 5 lb butt if we can cut it anyway we want after inspection. That's like saying you have to bring whole chickens but can turn in just thighs.

Yep, but we'll have a whole year to discuss it at least :)

If the BoD's intent is to still have butts cooked in one piece this rule change will likely change two or three times between now and next year. If not, then there is no point in bringing a 5 lb. minimum butt to a contest only to cut it into pieces.

Next rule change will be to forbid trimming of meats prior to inspection so pork is not singled out (again).

Benny

Thighs can be grilled.. a lot still do.

I'm going to start practicing grill marks on my money muscle slices.. :)

I'm not going to worry about people grilling their pork. It won't do much for their tenderness scores.

Money Muscle -Tenderloin , what's the difference, my best recollection of why the current pork rule was formulated. I've got some great ground pork recipes for the left over trimmed pork butts!!! Wonder if someone will feature a class or do a U-tube primer on proper disection of a boston butt?

I think all that has happened here is for pork to be treated like the rest of the meats.
If they meet requirments prior to cooking, the rest is up to the cook.
As a poor cook team the cooks occaisionaly for the purpose of having fun and hanging with friends, I cook one butt and will appreciate being able to remove that one muscle before it turns to mush.
I'm ok with it.
Ed

I predict in pork, people will see their scores hold or even drop because of this.

I know they took out the part that say it can't be parted, but It says it must be one piece that is 5lbs. So to me, you have to cook a piece of meat that is 5lbs or bigger. A money muscle is not 5lbs so you would not be able to cook it by itsself. To me, all it really changes is that you could maybe put it back in the cooker to heat up.

Of course, my interpretation could be way off base. Wouldn't be the first time, thats for sure.

Last edited:
If I am reading things right,is this really going to change much for anyone. I can see it benefiting some people by being able to cook 1 butt to 2 different temps rather than 2 butts. But other than that i really dont see how this will change much. Of course I could be completely wrong which wouldnt be a shocker either.

Big Mike's got a good point.. it'll just bring back the argument of "what is the definition of cooked?".. I guess that rule, if changed, needed to be re-worded to begin with, to bring closure to the discussions brought on a few years ago.. maybe I'm missing something?

Big Mike's got a good point.. it'll just bring back the argument of "what is the definition of cooked?".. I guess that rule, if changed, needed to be re-worded to begin with, to bring closure to the discussions brought on a few years ago.. maybe I'm missing something?
Once Your 5 Lb butt Or shoulder Is inspected Cook It Any Way You See Fit. That Is The Rule For 2014

Who is going to be able to tell a CT Butt from a Pork Collar?

Back