Here is my wild hog smoked shoulder P ( )RN

BayoustateBBQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Had some requests for this so here goes. I injected it with my brine solution and soaked over night in a brine solution. Added my rub. smoked at 225 for 4 hours. Put in a tin pan with a shallow meat rack on the bottom to keep the meat over the solution. Poured apple juice in the bottom and covered with foil. I cooked an additional hour until the internal temp was 150. Many people stop here and the meat is chewy. Just cook a bit longer untikl the internal temp is 180 and hold for one hour. Collagen that makes the meat chewy starts to break down at 180. After the one hour I pulled it off and let it rest covered for 30 min. Needless to say this meat had a nice pecan/ plum smoke flavor and melts in your mouth.

[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=709&pictureid=6960"]

sorry the pics were side ways, I up loaded them with my I phone:hail:

Last edited:
Looks really good. Havent gotten a hog since I have gotten my smoker.

That's awesome.
I've heard that wild hogs taste bad. Not true? Can you compare the meat to the farm raised, store bought stuff please.

I've watched videos of guys with rifles in helicopters chasing down hogs, but they don't eat the meat because it tastes bad. Am I missing something?

Some hogs can taste bad some not. alot of it is how it is field dressed and what they eat. Down here we have alot of oil wells and hogs from those areas sometimes just taste nasty. When field dressing if you get a male cut his balls off first thing. Alot of our hogs feed off our dear feeders and we have alot of food plots around here so people are more than happy for us to trap them. I build hog traps as a side job. The hog I did last night was more tender than regular pork believe it or not and you would not have known any different if I didn't tell you it was wild. People ate it and said it tasted better than regular pork.

Alot of how a hog tastes is how it is taken too. if you are running them with dogs you have all that adrenaline tainting the meat. Hog meat tasting bad unfortunantly is just people not doing things right. Restuarants pay top dollar for it down here because it is good tasting meat

This is my buddy that brought me the shoulder yesterday
picture.php

Wow, cool. Thanks for the info Bayou.
That certainly is a nasty looking creature. hahaha

Someday I'd love to be one of those guys hunting from a chopper.

See hogs can be a real nuisance down here so we have to keep the heard population under control

picture.php

They have actually been known to eat young fawns

See hogs can be a real nuisance down here so we have to keep the heard population under control
Oh yea, I've watched a few shows about it. That where I heard they aren't eaten, just left there to rot. I thought it would be great to make use of the food, but nowhere have I heard they're edible. This is the first time I've heard the meat tastes decent.

No bob the meat tastes great. It's not real gamey and I actually prefer it to pork. You don't have to bombard it with rubs and injections etc. It has flavor on it's own. The problem with our meat today is the flavor has been bred out of it. Think of buffalo, elk, etc. they have they're own flavor. Fry up a piece of beef and there is just nothing, no flavor. Anyone who says wild hog is nasty either like I said, the hog was in a bad environment, it was run by helicopters or dogs, or it just wasn't prepared right.
I obviously try to spread the word on wild hogs because I hate to see them killed and just left because people think the meat is nasty.

Back