Full KCBS contest on a Mini WSM

Yes, but why make it so difficult on yourself.? Maybe he'd win Grand if he just used a couple regular WSMs.

I do agree with you 100%, but the fact that we was able to do it impresses the heck out of me. I wouldn't try it myself.

Yes, but why make it so difficult on yourself.? Maybe he'd win Grand if he just used a couple regular WSMs.

My sentiments exactly! It reminds me of the movie Tin Cup when Tin Cup broke all his clubs to finish out with only his 7 iron. When Tin Cup (Kevin Costner) bragged to David Sims (Don Johnson) about finishing out only using his 7 iron, Sims simply asked, "why?"

Maybe he should make a run at President in 2016 or at the very least Governor of California, with his approach, maybe we cut could down our government spending...Enough politics, now back to BBQ.

Interesting but irrelevant. Nothing but a gimmick that any somewhat knowledgeable competition cook could accomplish. So he trims down his meats and has to time when things come off and go into a holding cooler/cambro. What’s next? A 19th place finish using nothing but some wooden matchsticks and an old coffee can? Or is Harry silently stating, by “handicapping” himself with this gear, that he believes himself to be that much better than everyone else he competes against?

Interesting but irrelevant. Nothing but a gimmick that any somewhat knowledgeable competition cook could accomplish. So he trims down his meats and has to time when things come off and go into a holding cooler/cambro. What’s next? A 19th place finish using nothing but some wooden matchsticks and an old coffee can? Or is Harry silently stating, by “handicapping” himself with this gear, that he believes himself to be that much better than everyone else he competes against?

I think it was explained best by Big Poppa Smokers, who was cooking just a few spaces over from Harry Soo in Lancaster

I was next to Harry...He made a couple of very strong points....he wanted to have fun hewanted to challenge himself and he wanted to point out that comp bbq is sort of out of control

I don't know that I would say the comp bbq is "out of control". To me, the fact that everyone has vastly different equipment makes it interesting. There are very few professional "sports" that the common man can step in and play with the big boys every weekend. Harry has just defined the low end of the equipment spectrum and if he can encourage more people to get into comp bbq by proving that you don't need a $12,000 pit, I think that's a good thing.

Back