Wheelchair accessible smoker or grill?

chambersuac

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Some of you know about my medical problems over the last 2.5 years, so I won't go I to that here. There's a whole sticky thread over in Discussion & Reflection, if anyone cares to know, but that's not important.

I am currently unable to stand or walk. The doctors say I'm paralyzed, but that sounds too permanent to me. I am getting physical,therapy, but it is going slowly. I am stuck in bed most of the time, but I can get lifted into a wheelchair for a couple of hours at a time...trying to increase my time.

Anyway, I pray God allows me to stand again one day. In the mean time, I'm wondering if anyone has ever heard of a wheelchair accessible grill or smoker? Since my legs must stick out in front of me, I need one that allows me to open the lid with one hand...preferably one that is hinged - not like a kettle lid that comes off.

Does such a thing even exist? Now, I have to rely on my wife and kids to do the smoking and grilling and it is just not the same...and they can't do it as often as I'd like to...

Well, crap, I guess I did mention my medical condition more than I thought I would...sorry...

No need to apologize, we understand. I was thinking, a lot of members here make mini versions of the WSM's (not sure if that is the right name). What if one of those was made with a dome hinge like the following:

http://unknownbbq.com/custom-wsm-hinge/

You still may have to come at it next to you so the feet are out of the way, but you should be able to access it with one hand.

Big Steel Keg comes on a frame and wheels, but it can be settled into a table so it is lower and more accessible.
It has a hinged lid that can be opened with one hand.
It uses high tech insulation so you wont get hot or get burned touching it or being in close proximity while you work.
You can lift out the grill with the handle supplied with one hand, and with a stem type weed burner you can light it yourself.
Replace grill.
You are good to go.
You can adjust the air and cook by yourself.
You can bbq, grill, smoke, roast and make pizza.
The only thing you cant do is eat it all by yourself.

Big Steel Keg comes on a frame and wheels, but it can be settled into a table so it is lower and more accessible.
It has a hinged lid that can be opened with one hand.
It uses high tech insulation so you wont get hot or get burned touching it or being in close proximity while you work.
You can lift out the grill with the handle supplied with one hand, and with a stem type weed burner you can light it yourself.
Replace grill.
You are good to go.
You can adjust the air and cook by yourself.
You can bbq, grill, smoke, roast and make pizza.
The only thing you cant do is eat it all by yourself.

Thanks. I have a BSK. I haven't thought of taking it off it's base. Even with it lower - assuming I had a low table, if the Keg was immediately on my right, at three o'clock, I'm not sure I could lift the lid all the way, as I cannot lean forward on my own. My back will bend when I'm in bed and move with the bed (it is a motorized hospital bed). Once I'm in the chair, I can pull myself forward if I can grab something right in front of me, but otherwise, I can't. Does that make sense?

Anyway, thanks for the idea. I may have my son take the keg off the stand and sit it directly on the concrete and try it.

Dan, can't believe something isn't already out there and hopefully someone will chime in with an existing fix, but if not, I (and my engineer in learning son) are willing to accept the challenge of designing and fabricating something. I have some experience using wireless remote control 12VDC linear actuators on farm equipment; I'm thinking a combination hinge/actuator something like THoey1963 suggested and a custom base to lower the whole cooker so the grill grate would be a convenient wheel chair accessible height.

So, assuming we figure something out, what would be your preferred cooker, a Weber, the BSK or I think I remember you also have more than one Green Egg?

EDIT: Dan, just to be clear, I'm thinking we could design/fabricate something that would make one of your existing cookers wheelchair friendly.

Last edited:
Chamber, sorry to hear about that. I would suggest any type of Kamado. You can turn the wheelchair so you come up next to it. The top's are hinged and they make great grills and smokers.

I don't know if you have one, but what about a small pellet pooper. It would cost some coin, but I think it could have its advantages for both you and your family, mostly ease of use.

As for opening the lid for either the pellet smoker or what you now have, how about attaching a pole of a proper length to the handle, so you could lift it all the way up and lower it when needed. On a pellet smoker you could have the frame extend on one side to both raise it and allow for you to have room to pull yourself up close. This and the pole could solve some problems for you.
Dave

Dan - the Backwoods chubby sits low to the ground but not sure how it would work as far as dealing with the firebox

I was thinking nearly the same. I had to spend some time in a wheel chair a few years ago and Im pretty sure I could have used the G2 Chubby effectively that I would later own. moving it around would be a different story but everything slid out nice

Very sorry about your situation and keeping a positive mental attitude is of premier importance as I'm sure you know. Keep it up and you will win. As to a cooker, I'm thinking something like a Bandera would work. Vertical chamber with a door hinged on the side and a high firebox. I know they are not made anymore, but I did see something new that is similar. I'll keep an eye peeled for you.

If you know a welder, you can always have them cut the legs down, get rid of the rack underneath, and this may work for you. Pretty cheap offset, but it will get it done. That's the only idea that I have.

a_zpse002721d.jpg

What about an Onyx Oven by bbq-guru? They have good capacity, small size, and they are meant to either sit on the ground or on a shelf/table/stand of any size. that Way you could adjust the height setup to suit exactly the altitude that will work for you.

Hinged door with one hand operation, easy to use and access fire/racks in the height distance inside your lap-shoulder distance as well.

Dan, can't believe something isn't already out there and hopefully someone will chime in with an existing fix, but if not, I (and my engineer in learning son) are willing to accept the challenge of designing and fabricating something. I have some experience using wireless remote control 12VDC linear actuators on farm equipment; I'm thinking a combination hinge/actuator something like THoey1963 suggested and a custom base to lower the whole cooker so the grill grate would be a convenient wheel chair accessible height.

So, assuming we figure something out, what would be your preferred cooker, a Weber, the BSK or I think I remember you also have more than one Green Egg?

EDIT: Dan, just to be clear, I'm thinking we could design/fabricate something that would make one of your existing cookers wheelchair friendly.

That's a heck of an offer, thanks a million. Let's see what is out there first, although, you might come up with something you could market to a lot of folks...

Thanks, everyone. When I posed the question last night, I obviously wasn't thinking clearly. That's fairly common these days. Well, it was probably ALWAYS common for me. Anyway, as I was reminded today, I have no business even thinking about this. God spared my life over and over, and He continues to bless and keep me - however He has not allowed me to stand, much less work and my family and I aren't even making ends meet. There is no way we can afford something so frivolous. I will keep the ideas in mind. Lord willing, I'll be able to work again some day. In the meantime, I'm gonna see what I can do with the Keg. I think I'll try to lower it and use a pole attached to the handle, as even with it lower, my arm won't allow me to open/close it while sitting in one place on the side. The WSM will remain a toll for team smoking. :)

Thanks everyone. I do appreciate your advice. I just got ahead of myself. I think the nice weather got to me.

Other options to think of trying (if not already mentioned)..... Customized grilling tools with longer handles. Extensions to assist with operating the grill top, or sliding racks in and out, so you're not so close to the grill while cooking.

Back