• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

How much parsley to buy?

We use maybe one bunch of parsley per box. We've been doing a Harry Soo/Pickled Pig method lately and it hasn't hurt our scores at all. It has shaved at least an hour off our box prep. There was a Youtube video of Harry's box class which he gives to rookie teams competing against him on Saturday mornings. Also, there is a Brethren thread about it as well...

Essentially, we take green leaf lettuce and cut into strips and throw it in the box until we get the desired height built up. Then we ring the outer edge with parsley, after we put the meat in the box we fill in any voids with more parsley. YMMV but it hasn't hurt us one bit.

Here's another helpful thread for you showing various methods

He said he could build 4 boxes for only $4. I told him "wow, that's efficient...and cheap!" Then, his fiancé said, "I buy 4...just in case!" LOL

They also get really good parsley..and have even had it shipped from Northern California..plus his boxes aren't putting greens either.

cpw, we go about 2-3 bundles as stated before, but allow me to make a suggestion, especially if this is your first time out. Look at this link http://www.thepickledpig.com/forums...eens-ii-magical-box-flip-method-transfer.html

Following this allows me to do the time consuming part ahead of time, and makes the time spent at the comp FAR more enjoyable. I've tried it twice so far with great success. And you can put your boxes together sitting on the couch at home days in advance!

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. We ended up using 6 bunches, but they were all really nice. We also ended up finishing the boxes about an hour ago, while at the comp. just didn't have time to build them at home this week.

He said he could build 4 boxes for only $4. I told him "wow, that's efficient...and cheap!" Then, his fiancé said, "I buy 4...just in case!" LOL
Now...who could that be??? :grin:

On another note...and keep in mind I am WAY out of the game.....heard a rumor that rosettes of green leaf are all the rage. It's just a rumor.

One well known competitor told me he uses 3 bunches of parsley & one head of romaine to build all four boxes. Now, I'm sure he uses 3 large bunches; however, that's cutting it too close for me. I used 8 bunches & 2 head last comp we did and we even used some for a 5th category at that comp. That amount seemed to work for us.

Is that with full putting greens on top of romaine or romaine on the bottom with parsley just around the sides of the meat? Would be hard if not impossible to fill 4 boxes with 3 bundles unless they were huge :razz:.

Back