• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

What is your favorite recipe?

Uncle Bucks BBQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I got a few friends and family coming over to the house for my Anniversary this weekend. I'm running out of ideas on great food to cook, I would really like to make something great for this get together. So I was wondering what are some of your favorite recipes?

You didn't say what course. I can tell you, this time of year, as a snack or lunch, nothing like a BLT. Add a fried egg and it becomes incredible.

this dish is one of my faves. taken from my uncle's cookbook.... www.soitalian.net

he's an 82 year old retired priest who is now an artist and still takes groups over to italy three or four times a year.

eggplant parmesan

the original sicilian recipe for eggplant parmesan included sliced potatoes and sliced onion, each fried separately and placed in alternate layers with the eggplants. finally, there was a topping of tomato sauce, medallions of mozzarella and basil leaves. (this is just a note about the general dish and not intended to be a part of the recipe)

3 medium eggplants
1 quart of basic tomato sauce
1/2 pound of sliced mozzarella
2 cups grated parmesan
bread crumbs
butter
olive oil for frying (yes, olive oil)
fresh basil

cut the eggplants lengthwise (japanese eggplant) or the other way for the big round eggplants and allow them to drain either laying them out in the sun or by salting and laying them on an inclined surface.

fry the eggplants in olive oil, not so much as to cover the eggplant however. do not drain the eggplant. in an oiled pan, layer the eggplant slices, tomato sauce, mozzarella slices, and parmesan cheese. end with a topping of parmesan, bread crumbs & small pieces of butter.

bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes. remove from oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes. garnish with fresh basil.

A roulade is always a good meal, pork loin is my favorite:

Attachments

• 5-7-2011 021.jpg
    5-7-2011 021.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 172
I second theflints01 but I'd add some strip steak to it as well. Both are quick cooks!!!

My absolute favorite food in the entire world is Chicken & Dumplins.

If you want a killer recipe, that has been highly requested at many a Church Dinner just let me know.

I like to keep it simple, so my absolute favorite recipe is (one ingredient):

Scotch

There's always Chicken Fricassee and Jambalaya on the side, some warm crusty french bread and COLD beer. Made this 18 years ago for friends. It's now a staple, they call it "Frickin' Chicken and Jumpin' Lion"...

Or, for me, Scotch. :)

Serve me up a nice Porterhouse:

Definition: The Porterhouse is kind of a composite steak coming from the point where the tenderloin and top loin meet. Basically an over-sized T-Bone steak the porterhouse is thicker cut and has much more of the tenderloin relative to the loin portion.

Throw in one of them fancy summer salads with crumbled blue cheese, strawberries & candied pecans.

Unless you are made of money, porterhouses probably aren't gonna make the menu. In which case, a nice grilled pork tenderloin would be yummy.

FWIW, I think side items can really make a meal special. Spend some time planning a few, killer side items that folks don't really have the chance to eat all too often.

It's summertime. Get some nice fresh produce and work it.

Cream corn (it don't have to come out of a can, ya know)
Mexican grilled corn (grill it and rub with a little chilli powdered butter n lime)
Bruschetta

"Rudy's Creamed Corn" clone recipie is hard to beat for a side.

TIM

Wow these are all a bunch of great ideas! I know one thing that I am going to start with as an appetizer, is Harry Soo's Seared Ahi Tuna. I want to grill and smoke something, you guys are giving me a bunch of great ideas! Keep em coming.

Grill:
  • Steaks - EVOO, garlic, Lawry's, Worcestershire pepper (you know what to do)
  • Corn on the cob - EVOO, Cavender's Greek seasoning (turn every 3-5 min to get a bit of char)
Smoker: (2/3 hickory, 1/3 apple, run at 250)
  • Jalapeño poppers - Cut the top off, stuff with cream cheese/cheddar mix, wrap with bacon, hit with pork rub (90 min at 250)
  • Fatties - Jimmy Dean bulk 1 LB flattened into a rectangle, grated cheese in the middle, roll, coat with pork rub (90 min at 250)
  • Spare ribs - mustard slather, pork rub (3-2-1 method...3 hours uncovered to an internal of 165, 2 hours foiled and back on the smoker, 1 hour off the heat resting in foil)
  • Brats - Johnsonville, pork rub lightly (90 min at 250, serve on potato rolls with a mess of caramelized onions on the side)
  • Chicken thighs - a bit (don't overdo) of Lawry's under the skin and on the underside (90 min to 2 hours at 250 to an internal of 170)
Sides:
  • Beer
  • Grilled red peppers
  • Beer
  • Alka Seltzer...

Back