• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Anyone Do Memphis In May Event's

B

Bigjim4x

I was wondering if anyone here does Memphis In May event's. I don't see allot of people talking about them. I'm doing my second one this weekend in Alexandria La. We finished second in shoulder last time and thought we would give it another shot.

Bigjim4x said:
I was wondering if anyone here does Memphis In May event's. I don't see allot of people talking about them. I'm doing my second one this weekend in Alexandria La. We finished second in shoulder last time and thought we would give it another shot.

That's a pretty big event. Im not exactly sure but I think that it might be invitation only.

I think BigJim is talking about a Memphis in May sanctioned contest being held in Alexandria, LA this weekend; not the actual Memphis in May event in Memphis, May 17-20 this year. The Alexandria contest is a MIM event and the winner gets an automatic to the big event in Memphis. See http://memphisinmay.org/mbacalendar.htm for the MIM sanctioned contest schedule. MIM contests are quite different from KCBS and FBA events. MIM has two rounds with the preliminary round including both blind and on site judging. MIM categories are whole hog, whole shoulder, or pork ribs. MIM events are pork only; no chicken or brisket.

QN

I'm not that much of a showman. I prefer to let my meat speak for itself.

It's a different animal. I did a few with a friend several years ago. You will not have a problem picking out the teams that do them on a regular basis. The quality of your product is the most important thing, but don't discount pressing the flesh when the judges come by. If somebody there with you has the knowledge, and experience in sales you want them talking when the judges come by. I hid by the pit!

My team is not interested in a popularity contest. We appreciate the the inherent fairness of the double blind judging in the KCBS format...

Bill...

Don't mean to get off topic, but I see your from Ville Platte8) Do you happen to know Tobi Brown, married to Glen Brown from Lake Providence? Friends of mine.

Well I just got home it was another long weekend. We finished 3rd in Shoulder and 6th in Rib's. Not to bad for only my second MIM event. The amount of meat you have to cook is unreal. We cooked 109lbs of pork shoulder and 10 racks of rib's. Overall it was a great weekend but I wouldn't want to do these every weekend. Too Much Work!!!

We cooked 6 whole pork shoulders. You need 1 for the blind box and then 1 for each preliminary judge theres 3 of them. Then you need 1 if you make final's plus 1 as a back up if something go's wrong with one. The same with the rib's 2 to3 for blind 3 for preliminary and 4 for final's.

We cooked 6 whole pork shoulders. You need 1 for the blind box and then 1 for each preliminary judge theres 3 of them. Then you need 1 if you make final's plus 1 as a back up if something go's wrong with one. The same with the rib's 2 to3 for blind 3 for preliminary and 4 for final's.

Thanks Jim... I forgot about the MIM process of the separate on site judging and then the finals... Makes sense now...

My team is not interested in a popularity contest. We appreciate the the inherent fairness of the double blind judging in the KCBS format...

Bill...

I do not know this man but he is very wise! My sentiments exactly! It seems like the same 3 teams trade off winning MIM year in and year out! :redface:

Back