My uncle gave me his 22.5" Weber Kettle when I was 21 (over 10 yrs ago:eek:) and that's when I started messing around with smoking spare ribs. Mostly it was burning spare ribs. I started by having the butcher cutting each individual rib (as opposed to cooking the slab as a whole). I burned many a rib before I finally figured out how to smoke those ribs. Adding wood chips eventually. Low and slow. That Weber was my learning partner. I think Im gonna tear up. I loved that thing. I eventually burned it out. :icon_sad Im sorry.... i can't go on..... too painful.....

Just got 1 for Fathers Day!!!!!!!!!!!
Im 40 years old and have never owned a Weber Kettle.
Maiden Voyage turned out great!!!
Country style Ribs 4
10 oz Tenderloin
24 oz Top Sirloin
Kebobs x 4

I love it but need to know more about what this thing can do!

Thanks Dan

DSCF1131.jpg

Very versatile piece of equipment. Searing heat or slow and low, you just can't beat them. I've had my OTG for two years. Its well traveled and seasoned. Took it to the Outer Banks with the Family last year for grilled steaks, fresh seafood, and even a smoked Waygu Oyster Roast (from where the flat irons get cut). While the cost is reasonable, the results are exceptional.

Only wish Weber seemed to embrace the Competitive side of BBQ. If there was a Super WSM or a Kettle in between the 22.5" and the Ranch, I'd be a buyer of both.

I own several, some bought some rescued from certain doom.

I have made two into the magnum cookers, I don't have a pic, but here is a link from where I got the idea and plans from.

http://www.randyq.addr.com/friends/mikey/magnum_force.htm

our bbq team has competed for going on three years with these cookers, and have a few awards for the effort.

My wife spied a red 22 1/2 someone had set out to be picked up, and upon further investigation we found it to be a complet unit but had a broken leg, and the wheels were shot. I had the spare legs and wheels I saved from the magnum project, so into the car it went.

our team won a 1st place chicken trophy on that weber last year at the MT State championship KCBS style competition in Stephensville. Used the side charcoal baskets to cook the chicken indirect.

the handle fell off of it last year, so I will need to bolt it on, and give it a paint job.

Do any of you have issues with the one touch vents? Mine always seem to get bent or worn out, and don't seal as well as they should.

I wish I could find a few with the old style vents, like they have on the WSM.

Also, I managed to lose one of the bottom washers, and had a heck of a time finding one that would fit. My neighbor is a metal machinist, so he took a flat washer and made it work for me.

Do any of you have issues with the one touch vents? Mine always seem to get bent or worn out, and don't seal as well as they should.

I wish I could find a few with the old style vents, like they have on the WSM.

Also, I managed to lose one of the bottom washers, and had a heck of a time finding one that would fit. My neighbor is a metal machinist, so he took a flat washer and made it work for me.

Have you called Weber direct. They have always been able to hook me up with replacement parts.

swamprb, how do you prep yer kettles and what paint and how does it work with high heat ?? winemaster, you sure don't look 40 !

N8Man, way cool mod, what is the top vent from??? Carvin mine up soon.... Thanks

Dave Q

N8Man, way cool mod, what is the top vent from??? Carvin mine up soon.... Thanks

Dave Q
Vent Cap is a Stove Pipe Reducer. If I had to do it over again, Smokeandbeer is the Brother I'd draw Inspiration from with his Weber Mods:
attachment.php

His is a Good Solid Design and Build, unlike my Mods, which required a lot of Hacksawing, Hammering, BlackSmithing, and Swearing...:wink:

The Weber Kettle Appreciation Thread is off to a good start. Great stuff..

Only 1,223 posts to go and we catch up with the Ugly Drum Smoker thread....

I have 3 - 22 1/2ers now. The first is a bar b kettle which I paid $20 on CL for (EZ 1998 ). That is the one that has been used the most. The second is a OTS I got for free (DA 2001). It is a piece though. Don't know what I am going to do with it. I might donate or trade it to someone in St. Louis looking to build an UDS (I only have the lid and kettle, got rid of everything else, like I said this thing is a POS). The third one I rescued out of the trash tonight. It is a yellow bar b kettle (D 1982). Someone tried to spraypaint it black so I will need to get that off (any suggestions???). Once cleaned up, this will be my keeper. I will then use the original mentioned above to make my UDS with as I only need 1 kettle.

Painting Kettles

swamprb, how do you prep yer kettles and what paint and how does it work with high heat ?? winemaster, you sure don't look 40 !

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=585341&postcount=1

I mask the rust spots off and just paint the chipped ceramic areas and try to blend it in, it won't be perfect, but from a distance you can't tell. I don't know why, but it seems the Red ones get beat up more than any Black kettle I've had. The Reds shine up pretty good with fine steel wool and if you really want it to shine I buff them with Meguiars Sealer/Glaze.
Dupli-Color Engine Red is a pretty good match.

I learned on a Webber Kettle more years ago than I would like to admit :shock:

I have two 22 1/2" er's now... One dated "B" (was going to be a UDS) and the other dated "DI" (a Gold series). I bought them both new but about 25 :?: or 30 years apart. I also had a spare lid given to me with no date code... "UDS" mod. :idea: Saved the "B" from becoming a "UDS" for now anyway. :lol:

Rescued two Smokie Joes from "Freecycle" :biggrin: One dated "DH" and the other is dated "DD"... "DD" is going to be used for a mini UDS. The "DH" was "NEW", well it was used 2 times... New enough for me. I use it for grilling a couple of times a week, just my wife and I, no need to fire up the 22 1/2er's after work just for a burger or steak :-D

Not sure why I need two of each :confused: I just need more time to used them maybe :biggrin:

His is a Good Solid Design and Build, unlike my Mods, which required a lot of Hacksawing, Hammering, BlackSmithing, and Swearing...:wink:

Thanks for the props. The Bride design was pretty simplistic, but the results were so good that I only use those to smoke on now. They ain't pretty but they were easy to build and work great.

WEBER RESCUE ALERT!

I am going tomorrow to rescue a 22.5 OTS and Smokey Joe Gold. $25 for the pair on CL. Will report back after I get them home.

No mods on any of mine other than adding a stoker to 2 of my wsms

I have had a 22 1/2 inch Weber Kettle non stop since 1979 when I was 19. I think I have bought a total of three during that time. I have rescued a bunch and given them to friends and family.

My favorite mod is to raise the fire grate so that it is about 3 inches under the cooking grate for steaks.

I am also really excited about my SJP with the JD McGee mod. It is a little cooking machine!!!

Back