Unsure of real definition of parboiling. Please tell me if this is considered parboiling

J

jeffostroff

I'm still a bit unsure of the real definition of parboiling, and it seems everyone has their own definition, so I want to get opinions on whether this is considered parboiling:

When I cook ribs at home,

1) I smoke them for 3 hours, then

2) I put them in an aluminum foil pan, and pour in about 1 cup of apple juice, and spray the ribs with apple juice, then I foil over the top of the pan and seal the foil around all the edges. Then I put them back on the grill for another 2 hours.

3) then I remove the ribs from th epan and put themback ontot the grill to cook while basting with sauce.

Step #2 is what I'm concerned about. Would this be disqualified in competition?

I just can't figure it out, but the best explanation I have seen so far is that parboiling vegetables for example is when you actually boil them first for a short period of time prior to cooking.

So they are partially cooked in boiling water, but removed before it is cooked all the way through, some people also call this blanching.

Since I'm basically just cooking the ribs in a pan with a small amount of apple juice, they are not submerged in water or anything else, I don't think it would be considered parboiling. But I'm also not a judge.

Anyone been disqualified for doing this?

Jeffostroff, like Vinny said that is prolly okay. My question is how done are the ribs doing that? I would think they would be really, really done. Just asking, that's all.

2) I put them in an aluminum foil pan, and pour in about 1 cup of apple juice, and spray the ribs with apple juice, then I foil over the top of the pan and seal the foil around all the edges. Then I put them back on the grill for another 2 hours.

Step #2 is what I'm concerned about. Would this be disqualified in competition?

In an earlier post I suggested you read the associations rules. Because you appear to be in Florida I think you would be competing at FBA events. Here are their reasons for DQ:

DISQUALIFICATION - An entry can be disqualified by the FBA Representative only. An entry can be disqualified for any of the following reasons:
  1. There is evidence of marking or sculpting. Marking is defined as: any handwritten or mechanically made mark inside or outside the turn-in box that identifies the submitting team to any judge. Sculpting is defined as: the carving, decorating, forming, or shaping of a meat entry contained in a turn-in box that identifies the submitting team to any judge.
  2. There is anything in the box besides the meat.
  3. There are not a minimum of 8 separate and identifiable pieces.
  4. There is evidence of blood such that the meat is uncooked.
  5. The entry is turned in after the officially designated time.
  6. Gloves are not used while handling food products.
  7. Not cooking pork as a single piece of meat.
  8. Not cooking the meat that was inspected.
Ray

Yes, I had read those rules on the FBA site, but none mentioned parboiling, unless I missed it.

Anyway, when I did the process of steaming for 2 hours in the foil pan, I think it helped give a sweeter taste to the ribs, while keeping them moist. Certianly the 17 people I had over that day all loved my ribs and there were no ribs left at the end, they dissappeared quite quickly.

I had cooked the baby back ribs using the 3-2-1 method. I have seen other posts that say the 3-2-1 is overkill for baby backs, and they also said you should do 3-1-1, who knows depends on what temp, I think I was cooking about 200 degrees. I don't know why people think it's overkill.

My $.02......Partially cooking by immersion in a boiling liquid. If it's already up to your internal temp before it goes in, no problem. If not, problem. Small amounts of liquid would be more akin to braising, IMHO.

I had a pit manufacturer from Oklahoma tell me years ago to smoke my chicken done, put in a pan on a hot spot in liquid and simmer for 30 minutes, then crisp skin and glaze. Parboiling? Not if it's done already.

From the online version of the Merriam-Webster Dictionary:

"to boil briefly as a preliminary or incomplete cooking procedure"

From another online source on the topic of cooking:

"Parboiling or blanching is a cooking technique in which something is partially cooked in boiling water, but removed before it is cooked all the way through."

We could go on and on...

What if the liquid doesn't reach the boiling point: 212 degrees?
What if the liquid was a solid prior to starting the cooking process?

parboiling involves RAW meat. Your fine. I was at the rules meeting where this was discussed. I've read many threads since. Look up a definition of parboiling.

We could go on and on...

What if the liquid doesn't reach the boiling point: 212 degrees?
What if the liquid was a solid prior to starting the cooking process?

Depends on the liquid... different liquids have different boiling points. Someone mentioned Paul's post. The butter never boils. Actually I think this is a chit pot stirring thread.

Depends on the liquid... different liquids have different boiling points. Someone mentioned Paul's post. The butter never boils. Actually I think this is a chit pot stirring thread.

Good point, Bill Nye the Science Guy.

Good point on the boiling never thought of that...FWIW I wasn't pointing fingers or trying to stir the pot, I may have a similar component in my process and didn't want to be out of bounds:icon_blush:

Looks like we have several gating items here then to be considered parboiling:

1) Raw meat first, not already smoked before putting into the pan
2) Totally immersed in water/liquid
3) Liquid is boiling
4) Meat is removed from liquid immersion before it cooks all the way

Certainly in my pan one cup of apple juice barely makes a 1/4" layer at the bottom so the ribs are never immersed, barely even touching the apple juice. This is more of a braising or pressurized convection steam process to force a bit of moisture and flavoring into the meat. Therefore I would think this is safe, and cannot be defined as parboiling if we use the Webster's Dictionary definition.

Bottom line, the rules just need a clear definition first of parboiling, and I recommend they use the dictionary version, then spell out what is allowed and not allowed under parboiling rules to dispel and future confusion.

I also saw a few posts about the temperature and whether it’s really boiling. Well most of us are smoking at 220 degrees and up, so water, juice, whatever, will be boiling anyway. Also, liquids can still evaporate without reaching boiling point first, which produces steam.

Only one issue to consider, that is immersion in boiling liquid. The rule for deep frying is redundant because that is nothing more than boiling in oil.

Back