• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

County Fair & BBQ Contest, Columbia, 07/28-07/29

W

wsm

anyone know anythiing aaobut this contest?

they say they already have their fill of judges. VERY STRANGE

The hottest place on the face of this earth.
I thought FL was Hot.
Man I was drippin gravy.
Flew out to that contest last year and had a blast with Belly Bros & the Spicewine crew.
Great contest.
I can't tell you about the judges situation.

Rich: This is a hot ticket!!! The Best of the Best have come through here.Johnny Trigg , Josh & Tom, Great Grills-O-Fire ( American Royal Invitational Champ 2005 ) 3 Men & a Pig ect. ect ect. You have to be on a "Who's Who list to be a judge at this contest!! I know the promoter, I will see if I can get you squeezed in on next years judging staff.Spice

Yep, that's how we pulled out a 1st in pork, we knew the "Who's Who list".........just kidding......the pay out could be better, but it is a state championship and AR qualifier, so it generally draws a few big names....this is Jay's and our backyard and I think we feel more pressure to do well in this contest.....but it don't stop us from having a good time....look for us to be side by side again this year....

As far as the judges....the annual Boone County Fair ham breakfast is held in the morning, quite a drawing card of celebs, and some CBJs....

I have this one on my schedule. And I know Wayne is considering it. Gary or Jay, how many teams were in this last year? It didn't seem overly large but then again, I was sweating profusely so who the heck knows? I think my brain was steamed!

I think there were about 48 teams last year and you are right , it was 102 in the shade:|

There were 41 teams at this event last year. "Hot" is an understatement.

The reason Mike McMillen says he's full on judges is because he does not want CBJ's at his event. He uses his judging seats to reward those that contribute or help him with that event.

wsm said:
Brings up the question - Do cooks want to be judged by CBJs??

In my limited experience, I'd say probably a good split of 50/50 works well. However, it seems to me that it is up to the organizer how he or she chooses to go with this issue. If cooks prefer it differently, I suppose they won't compete in that contest. Columbia seemed to me to be an outstanding contest regardless of where the judges came from.

The reason Mike McMillen says he's full on judges is because he does not want CBJ's at his event. He uses his judging seats to reward those that contribute or help him with that event.[/QUOTE said:
Wow
Never considered that a organizer would do that.

I'd say probably a good split of 50/50 works well.

Jeff,
I am really curious as to how you came up with that observation.
Would a Police Dept, Fire Dept, Retail Store, or Hospital with 50% trained officers (or employees) and 50% political appointees work well?????
That would be interesting.

When I am cooking, I like to think I have trained and practiced as hard as I can to do my best.
When I am Judging, I like to think I have trained diligently and try to do the best I can with a full understanding of the rules.
When I am cooking, I hope the Judges have trained diligently like I have and also try to do their best.
When I am Judging, I like to eat and score the product of those who have trained and practiced to do their best.

To me, non-certified judges are a fact of life since we can not field enough trained judges. But, only after the pool of judges fails to meet the requirments, not as a matter of policy.

But, that is just "silly ole me".

TIM

With non trained judges, you're less sure what they're looking for. To a non certified judge, a slice of brisket that we would consider perfectly done, is probably not quite done and a little tough yet.
I think Phil ran into this problem with non certified judges near the end of the season this year.
Having judges that are looking for what we are shooting for is surely the desired model of a good event, not having celebrity judges.

The_Kapn said:
I'd say probably a good split of 50/50 works well.

Jeff,
I am really curious as to how you came up with that observation.
Would a Police Dept, Fire Dept, Retail Store, or Hospital with 50% trained officers (or employees) and 50% political appointees work well?????
That would be interesting.

When I am cooking, I like to think I have trained and practiced as hard as I can to do my best.
When I am Judging, I like to think I have trained diligently and try to do the best I can with a full understanding of the rules.
When I am cooking, I hope the Judges have trained diligently like I have and also try to do their best.
When I am Judging, I like to eat and score the product of those who have trained and practiced to do their best.

To me, non-certified judges are a fact of life since we can not field enough trained judges. But, only after the pool of judges fails to meet the requirments, not as a matter of policy.

But, that is just "silly ole me".

TIM

Like I said, Tim... my limited experience. I just seem to recall a couple of people at a contest mentioning that from what they understood that there were about equal numbers of certified and non-certified judges and they agreed that was good. Maybe that was from a perspective of having been in contests where there were few, if any, certified judges and 50/50 was good comparatively speaking. But I'm not sure that you need to be certified to do a good job as a judge. Before you point out the inconsistencies and the fact that it is a crap shoot to have a lot of non CBJ's, I just want to say that there are a lot of people out there who may have been associated with BBQ, BBQ teams, contests and even the KCBS and therefore have at least some idea of what it is they're supposed to be doing as a judge. However, I guess being in the heart of KCBS's home, it's conceiveably more likely that there will be "qualified non-certified" judges available than in areas of the country where BBQ is less popular or where contests haven't become an every weekend occurance like they have here.

smokincracker said:
Wow
Never considered that a organizer would do that.

Niether would I, but I got that info straight from the horse's mouth when he rep'd the contest in Glascow, MO the following weekend. But, something else that isn't known about this event .. . . in the past couple years, he raffles off the left over meat in the turn-in containers to the judges between categories.

50/50

good ideal

Three CBJ's

Three off the streat ---Tom--Dick--and --Harry>>

Now Tom is a charter member of P.E.T.A

then theres Dick who's a vegaterian

But then theres harry who is the bigest sponsor he's jewish and kosher

If there all cbj's cook comp style, if all of the street cook back yard style, if it's a mix--good luck

wow.... thats a concept thats somewhat shocking. I thought that at a sanctioned event, KCBS would required as many certified judges as possible, and only then hit the public pools. Personally, i prefer to be judged by a qualified/certified judge, that is looking for the same specific goals that me, as a cook tries to hit. If I know that i am feeding a judging tent of regular joes, my ribs WILL fall off the bone, and the brisket will fail the rubber band test. Never knew the organizer can assign whoever they wanted. Thats somewhat disappointing.(my opinion, to me, just me, dont jump it).

I call myself a KCBS CBJ - and that is my main link to the world of BBQ. I think it is a shame if non-CBJs are alklowed to judge, but in this case, we are not talking about "average joes" - we are talking aobut friends/aquantences of the organizer/KCBS Rep. I suspect that those volunteers have been around KCBS BBQ long enough to have "learned the ropes" as a CBJ does, NOT IN CLASS, but by judging.

Maybe that is why the "Heavy Hitters" like the contest.

My guess would be that he's using that excuse to weed out disruptive judges as he sees fit.

Why must we talk about this over and over like being a CBJ is some great accomplishment. All you have to do is have $30 and a few hours. Nobody has ever failed the course. After the class you are never tested or questioned. I like the program as a promotional tool and a fundraiser, but to assume these CBJ's are all "Looking for" the same anything is kind of ridiculous.

Yea Doc but at least they cared enough to spend the 30 and the hours. They also found one near enough to spend the time an $ to get to and I am having a problem with that none withen a 10 hour drive.

Back