• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

First Smoke on the ECB w/ prOn

SmokinSlowPoke

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Happy Saturday Pharkers,

We had a pretty nice day going in KC so i decided to take the ECB out for a spin. Initially i was planning on just seasoning the smoker and seeing how it performed with the mods. Once it got up to temp i decided to try my hand at some chicken quarters. I used a store bought Gates BBQ rub and 2 chunks of Hickory on Cowboy Lump (Think i'll switch over to Royal Oak after this bag).

Anyway, enough typing. Here's the pr0n. Enjoy:

Chicken has been washed and patted dry, ready for the rub:
photo 2.JPG

I started the lump early and let the smoker get up to temp before putting the chicken on. I started the chicken bone side up and flipped about 30 mins in:
photo 7.JPG
photo 3.JPG

Side note, i created a intake damper out of a 3" stainless steel access panel cover (for a plumbing clean out):
photo6.jpg

I had some problems with the POS temp gauge i bought. No matter how hot the grill ran it would never read above 200 degrees. I am going to replace it tomorrow with something more accurate.
photo 1 (1).jpg

Let the quarters go for about 60 minutes at between 315 and 340, once they got up to 160 I glazed them with Cowtown BBQ Sauce and then pulled them when they hit 165 internally to let them rest for 10 mins:
photo 4.jpg
photo 5.JPG

Tomorrow I'll be trying my hand on a pork shoulder, thanks for looking!

Looks good! Send some of that down my way - Lee's Summit ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Looks like you got it to work pretty good! Food looks good too!

Thanks for all the nice words, schatz I see alot of fellow KCers on here haha nice to meet ya! These are all gone but maybe next time!

Looks like you have that ECB dialed in the chicken look DEElicious!

Back