Masterbuilt Electric took a chit

boatnut

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Element went out. Called customer service...apparently the element is permanent part of the smoker box. :( After some conversations, they agreed to send me a brand new smoker (although in black and not stainless) for like $50 off retail. It arrived today.

My question is, what do I do with the old one? I've thought about just piping smoke into it and using as a cold smoker as it is insulated. Any other suggestions???

Turn it into a cold smoker. There are several units out there Amaz-N is the one that comes to mind.

You could use an El cheapo hot plate for heat.My home made electric smoker uses a dual hot plate.

If you want to make a cold smoker out of it, all you need is a tin can, a soldering iron, and some wood chips.

picture.php

picture.php

CD

Put it on the curb and time how long it takes before it gets picked up. My money is on 15 minutes.

Seriously. If you're just going to put an A-Maze-Smoke or hot plate in it for cold smoking, you can do that with your new one. You're out nothing, let someone else try and figure it out.

if it's the digital version, and unless there are some new changes, the element is replaceable, and they sell it. after you get the new smoker, get the parts list and order the element. I replaced the element in mine with the next size up in wattage, I ordered it from Masterbuilt. What is the model number of your smoker?

The leads from the wires to the element burned out in mine.
I replaced the wire leads, pushed them onto the element and the unit is working again.
Everything is visible once you remove the back on mine.
Masterbuilt has changed the front door since mine was purchased. They may have changed some internal parts also.
When i tried to buy parts i was told they were not available and to purchase another unit. That is what i expect when i buy ***** ******* ****. I would compare the quality of masterbuilt smokers with tools from harbor freight.
Your mileage may vary.
IF i had the $$ i would replace it with a cookshack or fec.
jon

Buy a SmokinTex and you will never be happier. I hear only BAD things about Masterbuilt. I've had my two SmokinTex's for over 10 yrs with no problems.

Back