1st turn box photos-kings mountain cookoff

B

bige1

Hello fellow q-ers, here is my photos from my 1st comp... tell me what you think ....thanks eric

Attachments

• porkkm.jpg
    porkkm.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 108
  • brisketkm.jpg
    brisketkm.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 109
  • ribskm.jpg
    ribskm.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 108
  • chickenkm.jpg
    chickenkm.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 110
Blurry was my first thought also. Try to trim your thighs so they are all the same size.

I think pork is tough to do to look like more than a pile of dog food, but more bark in it would be good. The brisket is a bit over-wet looking for me, but not bad at all. Ribs look good, chicken looks good but not great (what bigmista said). If you're going to use lettuce, make it more even overall. How did you do on appearance scores?

"Roger" to all the above comments.
Overall, not bad--just needs tweaking and attention to detail.
Pics are really hard to evaluate, but seems to be a lot of sauce. This is a regional thing, but lots of sauce is not used in my area--may be fine in yours :lol:

Great starting point!

TIM

Hello everyone thanks for the comments.my appearence scores on chicken were 7-9-7-6-9-8 ribs were 8-8-7-8-9-7 pork 7-6-7-9-7-5 brisket 5-5-6-5-5-5

I'm a bit surprised brisket was so low. I didn't expect 9's, but not 5's. But I'm not surprised the ribs did the best in presentation. How'd you come out in the categories overall?

28th chicken - 15th ribs - 47th pork - 46th brisket it was my first time smoking a brisket i really over cooked it .. on pork i injected the roast i have never done that before i should have cooked it like i do at home i dont know what i was thinking , i cant wait till june i need to redeem myself in pork at the next comp... thanks for the comments ...eric

I'd recommend doing a full practice run first, and posting pics like these (but in focus :) from the practice to get feedback before going to the next one in June.

Eric,
Some things that "may" help on brisket appearance scores.
These are all in the nature of "art-work", not "does it look tasty".

The slices do not appear to be contiguous, presented in order as cut. There are longs and shorts with different curved edges. Were they placed in the box in the same order cut?

Last one on left "appears" to have a chunk missing. Optical illusion or cook's sample? :lol:

The best presentations I have seen had the slices spaced evenly.

Like I said--pure artisan side of the job.

Do they look "tasty"--YUP.

Just some thoughts.

TIM

Back