• Never have but want to

Votes: 44 20.4%
  • Never have

Votes: 50 23.1%
  • What is it?

Votes: 61 28.2%

• Total voters
SP said:
16oz was just under 22 dollars with shipping.

It's only $9.95 for 16 oz. You will pay shipping no matter what you buy. We have no idea where you live to say if shipping is high or not.

Looking at the ingredient list it appears that FAB B is Protein (Rendered Dehydrated Beef Fat?) and MSG.

To me, that equates to the use of lard when cooking Mexican, the reason why restaurants offer such fabulous meals that we have a problem reproducing at home.

I have perceived from this thread that there are those that use FAB B for competition but not for personal consumption. Am I right in my perception?

I have been shaking my head for a few days pondering this thread. What are the alternatives to FAB B?

tony76248 said:
Looking at the ingredient list it appears that FAB B is Protein (Rendered Dehydrated Beef Fat?) and MSG.

To me, that equates to the use of lard when cooking Mexican, the reason why restaurants offer such fabulous meals that we have a problem reproducing at home.

I have perceived from this thread that there are those that use FAB B for competition but not for personal consumption. Am I right in my perception?

I have been shaking my head for a few days pondering this thread. What are the alternatives to FAB B?

How 'bout lard and msg?? :mrgreen:

Well, I considered lard but tallow is the beef equivalent. Where FAB P might contain lard.....just my thoughts.

SP said:
I read Big Mista post in the road map about Le Gout Au Jus. He said it was almost the exact same.

You are absolutely right. Looks like this...
us_20154043_-200_-200.jpg
except it says Au Jus mix. I buy it at Smart & Final here. Don't know where you would get it there but it is made by the same company that makes Knorr products. Haven't seen it on th web yet.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]FAB B Contains: Hydrolyzed soy protein, vegetable oil (soybean and or corn, cottonseed), sodium phosphates, mono sodium glutamate, autolyzed yeast extract, disodium inosinate and guanylate, xanthan gum.[/FONT]
Le Gout
Contains: Salt, Autolyzed yeast extract, Sugar, whey(from milk), hydrolyzed soy protein, corn starch, caramel color,
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]monosodium glutamate, onion powder, corn syrup solids, dextrose, natural flavors, thiamine, hydrochloride, partially hydrogenated soy bean and cottonseed oils, disodium guanylate, disodium inosinate.

It ain't the same but it works. Plus a 4oz package costs $1.85.
[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]
[/FONT][/FONT]

To quote Jim Minion from the RoadMap:

" The injection that is being used by many out there now days is more than a flavor thing. When the animal is slaughtered and goes into rigor it takes the natural phosphates out of the meat. Fab B replaces those phosphates lost in rigor meaning you increase moisture retension and yield. You will find that shrinkage is much less. This product does have a flavor factor also, it was a factor in the reason for DrBBQ's win in TX on Chris Lilly's show. I talked with Ed Roith and he made it clear that Doc's brisket had much more beef flavor than the other two briskets.

There are a number of Tx cooks I have met that are cooking brisket in high heat short cooks, Johnny Trigg and James Rice are two examples of cooks that use these techniques and win on a regular basis."

So, if a gravy or broth mixture does that for less money--go for it.

Test it and see for yourself.

TIM

Never tried it. In fact I checked the "what is it" when I voted. I might give it a try on the next brisket. I also do not compete. Strictly a backyard guy that loves to smoke up a good meal.

OK, FAB lovers...

FAB B or FAB B lite? Any preferences? Can anyone tell a real difference?
thanks guys!
Nancee

bbqpigskin said:
OK I'll ask. What is FAb b?

nancee said:
FAB B or FAB B lite? Any preferences? Can anyone tell a real difference?
thanks guys!
Nancee
Taste wise they are very close. Color wise they are very different. FAB-B is dark and FAB-B Lite is a much lighter color. If you do not inject with the grain there is a possibility you could get your brisket slices with visible stains when useing FAB-B. It does not happen with the Lighter FAB-B Lite.

I cooked a Picnic with Fab B last night.
Mixed a cup Fab B, cup Cranberry Juice and a cup of water together.
Injected all of it in the Picnic. I don't remember the weight, but it was not huge.
Let it sit for an hour, then poured some rub on top and smoked it to 180 degrees.
Turned out REALLY good, even if I say so myself.

One of the guys at the table said....What did you inject this with?
So I got the Fab B out.
He smelled it and said...Well....I wouldn't have believed that....Because this stuff doesn't smell very....Good.

But he ate thirds, and that's a compliment!

Rick

Bigmista said:
That's the gravy. Not the Au Jus mix. They are different.

So is the Au Jus used the same as Fab? Is that your results? I can probably get it from SYSCO For half the money?

Bigmista said:
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]FAB B Contains: Hydrolyzed soy protein, vegetable oil (soybean and or corn, cottonseed), sodium phosphates, mono sodium glutamate, autolyzed yeast extract, disodium inosinate and guanylate, xanthan gum.[/FONT]
Le Gout
Contains: Salt, Autolyzed yeast extract, Sugar, whey(from milk), hydrolyzed soy protein, corn starch, caramel color,
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]monosodium glutamate, onion powder, corn syrup solids, dextrose, natural flavors, thiamine, hydrochloride, partially hydrogenated soy bean and cottonseed oils, disodium guanylate, disodium inosinate.

It ain't the same but it works. Plus a 4oz package costs $1.85.
[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]
[/FONT][/FONT]

Almost the same ingredient as Lawry's Au Jus

http://www.lawrys.com/products/products_detail.cfm?lry_value=products&prodtype=seasoningmixes&id=704

Back