• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

The National BBQ Cup - Cumming, GA - Pics and report

Uncle Buds BBQ

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Last weekend was the National BBQ Cup in Cumming, GA. I judged this one last year (the first year of the event) and immediately realized that I should have competed!

First, it's an awesome site at the fairgrounds. Mostly flat and asphalt with permanent power and water for each team.

Second the organizer, Randall Bowman and his side kick John Hale are cooks and cooker manufacturers so they know how to treat the teams.

Third, what a name! Who wouldn't want to be able to say they won the THE NATIONAL BBQ CUP! Plus, being late in the year it drew big name teams from all over. And the awards custom carved by Brian Ruth and created my Pirate 50...wow.

So Noah (Nauti-Que) and I teamed up to compete. My plan was to try and take pics of each team and that plan went out the window so following are pics of many teams.

There are lots of pics so it may take me away. You'll know I'm done posting when you see the steam tractor that excitingly toured the event site late Sat. evening.

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

007.JPG

008.JPG

009.JPG

010.JPG

061.JPG

062.JPG

063.JPG

064.JPG

065.JPG

066.JPG

067.JPG

068.JPG

Congrats to a fellow Brethren, MATTG, for taking 1st place overall in backyard AND vending too!
069.JPG

070.JPG

071.JPG

073.JPG

074.JPG

Time for awards!!!!!
075.JPG

076.JPG

Our reps., the Reids, Braziers, and Polands.
077.JPG

078.JPG

Our hosts, Randall and John.
079.JPG

080.JPG

081.JPG

Earlier this year we lost Sam and Diane Grogan of the "Jus Fer Fun" team. Their kids cooked in the contest in honor of them. Bubba Latimer introduced them and presented with a memorial award.
082.JPG

Then they presented the Sam and Diane award to the Bonds, who are long time judges, for their effort and contributions to our BBQ hobby. It was very touching.

083.JPG

084.JPG

085.JPG

086.JPG

087.JPG

1st place chicken. Unfortunately they handed out most of the other awards behind a pillar so I missed getting their pic.
088.JPG

Holy Smokes takes RGC.
089.JPG

090.JPG

So...the day is done. We are relaxing by the fire...when a train whistle goes off...

109.JPG

...but it's not a train...it's a steam tractor from around the turn of the century.

098.JPG

100.JPG

101.JPG

The fairground has an entire barn full of steam tractors and we were lucky enough to be there when they pulled one out.

102.JPG

103.JPG

104.JPG

107.JPG

Till next time...

Thanks Dave. We had great time. Also thank you very much for the loan of the stoker. Pots will be back but I do not think that we would ever vend again unless so changes were made. Sill great comp.

Back