Leg Quarter Experimental Cook.....

Q-Dat

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Whatchall think?

ahytu4u7.jpg

Here's a bite from the leg portion.

5ubagu5a.jpg

I'll probably never turn em in, but I'd like to try.

at that time, it was in its infant stages as far as taste and texture, but I have no regrets on turning these in, I think judges appreciate something different besides having carbon copy thigh pillows.

at that time, it was in its infant stages as far as taste and texture, but I have no regrets on turning these in, I think judges appreciate something different besides having carbon copy thigh pillows.

Thats a good lookin box! Have you turned them in often enough to be able to tell if they score much differently than thighs?

In all the KCBS contests that I've judged so far, I've only gotten leg quarters twice. It is refreshing for us judges to have a change from thighs only, but it just isn't common.

These quarters look great!
Good luck!

Thats a good lookin box! Have you turned them in often enough to be able to tell if they score much differently than thighs?

As you can see, the appearance scores are gonna be pretty decent, it all comes down to taste and tenderness. Lets put it this way, I haven't finished DAL with them

Here's the cause of my hesitation to use them.

Taste and tenderness scores throughout 8 contests using thighs only have been very favorable. I really feel like appearance has cost us first place once or maybe even twice due to lack of uniformity. Appearance is really the only score that can be brought up by using leg quarters.

Its the leg with all the tendons that scares me. The bites I took were fine, but as you eat further into it things start getting stringy and gristly. This will simply never be a concern with a thigh.

Back