• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Dry Rubs - Homemade vs. Commercial

What is the preferred type of dry rub you use most of the time?

• An original homemade rub

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • A commercially sold rub

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • A BBQ cookbook rub recipe followed "to the letter"

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • A commercially sold rub that I like to "doctor up"

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • A BBQ cookbook rub recipe that I like to "doctor up"

Votes: 24 19.8%

• Total voters
I enjoy making my own rub. I also enjoy making my own sauce. One of the books I enjoy is Peace love and BBQ. Mike gives you detail flavor profiles of spices and suggestions on how they could be used. He also has a chart of do use and do not use spices. By making my own dry rub I feel like I am more a part of the process. It is really fun when your friends say where can I get that rub or sauce and I can smile and say you have to make it yourself:clap2:
I have also enjoyed making rubs and sauces for my friends varying taste. One of my friends likes it sweet and mild so pepper or cayenne is not in his rub or sauce.Then there is the dreaded Low carb verision I make for myself cause I tend to blow up easily!
So here comes the confession FORGIVE ME BROTHERS AND SISTERS FOR I HAVE PURCHASED HABANERO DEATH DUST! actually two packages! I just could not resist trying the fire powder!:crazy: But i have not opened it yet
There is room for everybody here. If you like buying rub good for you:clap2: If you make your own I hope you enjoy that as much as I do:clap2:

Send the death dust to me and all is forgiven.

Next day delivery before 10am please.

Sent from my SPH-M910 using Tapatalk

I have a 9000 square foot garden, grow my own herbs, save seeds to grow the next year and make my own rubs. Heh, I'm the only real cook here...:heh: :bow: :becky:

images

just because it homemeade doesn't make it good.But some of you people that complaing about commercial rub use charcoal briquett with a chunck of wood and think that bbq go figure

images

just because it homemeade doesn't make it good.But some of you people that complaing about commercial rub use charcoal briquett with a chunck of wood and think that bbq go figure

Lawry's? That's the Devil's food! You're probably one of the sweet cornbread eatin' Yankees. :flame:

Just joking of course.

images

Stickburner bayy..bbeee!!

Just because you make your own rubs does not mean you truly understand how to properly pair spices to create an optimal blend. Sure you can throw some common ingredients together which may taste fine but there is MUCH more to creating a top-notch rub than that. We commercial guys work with chemists and food scientists to hand select specific ingredients to produce a product you are not capable of doing in your kitchen.

If you and your food scientists are producing a rub that I can not buy the ingredients for then I doubt I will ever buy a commercial rub.

I do NOT need any scientific ingredients that can not be bought at a high end spice supplier.

I thought spice rubs are made out of spices?

I guess not.......

Last edited:
If you and your food scientists are producing a rub that I can not buy the ingredients for then I doubt I will ever buy a commercial rub.

I do need any scientific ingredients that can not be bought at a high end spice supplier.

I thought spice rubs are made out of spices?

I guess not.......

I never said we are buying ingredients you couldn't buy. Not sure where you got that from.:crazy:

I never said we are buying ingredients you couldn't buy. Not sure where you got that from.:crazy:

He isn't crazy.

You said something like "some of the ingredients would not be found in our kitchens."

I wasn't crazy about that answer, either.

Here is your quote:

"We commercial guys work with chemists and food scientists to hand select specific ingredients to produce a product you are not capable of doing in your kitchen."

To me that means that I can not buy ingredients that were made by God.

What are you saying in your quote?

Here is your quote:

"We commercial guys work with chemists and food scientists to hand select specific ingredients to produce a product you are not capable of doing in your kitchen."

To me that means that I can not buy ingredients that were made by God.

What are you saying in your quote?

I specifically mean we create a rub with a process you could not duplicate in your kitchen. Working side by side with a chemist, Hand selecting specific ingredients at the facility that pair well with each other, grinding each ingredient to the desired consistancy, using perfectly calibrated scales for measuring, etc. Most people can not do that in their Kitchen.

It's my understanding that food scientists rework the recipes mostly to save money on ingredients: if you make something taste the same with a lower priced ingredient, that equals more profit.

It's my understanding that food scientists rework the recipes mostly to save money on ingredients: if you make something taste the same with a lower priced ingredient, that equals more profit.

What are you basing your assumption off of?

I specifically mean we create a rub with a process you could not duplicate in your kitchen. Working side by side with a chemist, Hand selecting specific ingredients at the facility that pair well with each other, grinding each ingredient to the desired consistancy, using perfectly calibrated scales for measuring, etc. Most people can not do that in their Kitchen.

Grinding to the desired consistency?
To me I don't see the real issue with the grind size as I have ground tons of spices and never had an issue with a spice being ground to the wrong consistency.

Scales for measuring? How exact does it need to be?
If I made some rubs and they were 1 gram off I doubt it would make a difference at all.

To me it is the right spices and finding the right balance and taste.

Micro millimeters of spice sizes and weight of each spice granule is not going to make a difference in my opinion.

What are you basing your assumption off of?

I make sauces, and rubs too. Some are posted on other web sites, and are quite popular.

In making them for myself, I looked into doing large batches, so I'd have them on hand.

So I read several threads on other parts of this site where people who have also done this, discussed the process.

Search the site: I'm sure they're all still there.

Grinding to the desired consistency?
To me I don't see the real issue with the grind size as I have ground tons of spices and never had an issue with a spice being ground to the wrong consistency.

Scales for measuring? How exact does it need to be?
If I made some rubs and they were 1 gram off I doubt it would make a difference at all.

To me it is the right spices and finding the right balance and taste.

Micro millimeters of spice sizes and weight of each spice granule is not going to make a difference in my opinion.

If you were in the business you would understand the importance. Those are all EXTREMELY important factors. Consistancy is huge. If you ground everything the same consistancy, you would have a rub with no visual depth. Some spices like pepper for instance taste completely different depending on the mesh (coarseness). This is why we grind each spice individually to get the desired coarseness.

Weights need to be exact when you are dealing a commercially available product. Our customers expect the very same product each time they buy it so we cant just add a little of this and a little of that. It's call quality control which has to be strict. In addittion distributors such as SYSCO require proof of how you control/guarantee that each bottle is exactly the same as the other. If you can't do that, you don't get the account. I'd say thats pretty important!

I sold to the Four Seasons in NY, NY last year. We had to prove lots of stuff that "wouldn't make a difference in your opinion".

I hope this sheds some light for you.

Back