Best attempt yet at weeping ribs

dealm9

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Baby backs were on sale so I decided I would try em. I have only smoked spares so I was excited to try them. I tried pitmastert's weeping ribs for the second time and these ended up being the most tender, juicy ribs I have done with the best bark too.
e3erady5.jpg

4a9ezedy.jpg

Top one rubbed with SM sweet and spicy, bottom one rubbed with SM season all and peppered cow
sahu3u6u.jpg

Beginning to "weep" that good 'ol pig honey
ytysuhev.jpg

3ajymyja.jpg

zydapena.jpg

Fully "weeping." Ready to shut down exhaust and intakes
a9a7y8ub.jpg

Finished product
aneguzeh.jpg

py5a3uze.jpg

desa7ety.jpg

une3e2u2.jpg

uzyvede9.jpg

eju3ejab.jpg

Washed down with world champion Great Lakes Christmas Ale. This stuff is liquid gold here in Cleveland
vepema5y.jpg

Sorry for all the pics. Thanks for looking
Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

Looking good! :clap2: I have yet to try that method but it's definitely on the list. How long did you let 'em sit after shutting everything down?

I thought I was done with baby backs until I found a good source of some nice & meaty ones.

Looking good! :clap2: I have yet to try that method but it's definitely on the list. How long did you let 'em sit after shutting everything down?

I thought I was done with baby backs until I found a good source of some nice & meaty ones.

I use a UDS and I shut them down for roughly 30 minutes. All the honey went back into the ribs and they were just the right temp for eating. My UDS went from 275 to 140 in those 30 minutes.

I was really surprised at how meaty these were. Even though I have never smoked them until tonight I have had bb's on many occasions and these were very meaty. I got these at BJ's

The Christmas Ale is magical as are all Great Lakes beers. I've been drinking it all weekend. Also I guess I wasn't aware of this "weeping" even after reading a lot on the forum, but doesn't this normally happen during the cooking process and really isn't a special technique? Mine always have the liquid come out of the ribs during the cook. What "technique" is required to make it happen or not happen?

All I can say is mmmmmmmmm......... Looks so good Mark! :thumb:

Hmmm so it is more of a hotter/faster thing? I see it happen at most every temp. There wasn't much explanation as to why this may only occur during some special technique. I see it at most all temps when doing ribs. Mostly I do them around 240. Just thought it was something that happens in general.

I am no expert on why it happens but tin my experience, at lower temps I have not been able to draw forth the pig honey like I did however the technique is also a lot about using the pig honey as a sign for when to start finishing your ribs. Just my two cents

This is just another example of why foiling and spritzing ribs really aren't necessary, especially when you start with good quality meat. Great job!

I use a UDS and I shut them down for roughly 30 minutes. All the honey went back into the ribs and they were just the right temp for eating. My UDS went from 275 to 140 in those 30 minutes.

I was really surprised at how meaty these were. Even though I have never smoked them until tonight I have had bb's on many occasions and these were very meaty. I got these at BJ's

I take into consideration that his heavy gauge pit comes down in temperature much slower than my lighter gauge smokers once he shuts his completely down. To simulate a slower cooling rate I graduate the shutting down of my vents.

From what you have found, this might not be necessary. It looks like a little experimentation is in order on my part.

I take into consideration that his heavy gauge pit comes down in temperature much slower than my lighter gauge smokers once he shuts his completely down. To simulate a slower cooling rate I graduate the shutting down of my vents.

From what you have found, this might not be necessary. It looks like a little experimentation is in order on my part.

I have the opposite issue. My BWS will hold 275 for a few hours after shutting down. I guess I would have to remove the charcoal tray and crack the door.

Thanks for the pictures. I always hear of 'weeping ribs' but this really illustrates it :bow:

Sounds like a plan that worked great, sure looks great.

Weeping ribs happens at all temperatures, but, in a low temperature cook with a good draft, the pig honey dries up as the liquid comes out slower, that has been my observation.

Those look so good, and I haven't had ribs in a while. They're on the menu again, now! :wink:

Sounds like a plan that worked great, sure looks great.

Weeping ribs happens at all temperatures, but, in a low temperature cook with a good draft, the pig honey dries up as the liquid comes out slower, that has been my observation.

That makes a lot of sense. ALl I know is though that in my rib cooking experience (which is not as vast as most brethren here), temperatures lower than 250 have produced worse results than temps in the 275-325 range. It could just be that my timing is thrown off by cooking at lower temps but I have been able to nail the perfect doneness with ribs with a higher cooking temp. I don't really cook anything lower than 275 anymore, except pork butt which I am willing to go down to 250 for, but 275 is mine and my UDS's favorite temp, which makes it easier for me

Back