Wheelchair accessible smoker or grill?

Thanks. I have a BSK. I haven't thought of taking it off it's base. Even with it lower - assuming I had a low table, if the Keg was immediately on my right, at three o'clock, I'm not sure I could lift the lid all the way, as I cannot lean forward on my own. My back will bend when I'm in bed and move with the bed (it is a motorized hospital bed). Once I'm in the chair, I can pull myself forward if I can grab something right in front of me, but otherwise, I can't. Does that make sense?

Anyway, thanks for the idea. I may have my son take the keg off the stand and sit it directly on the concrete and try it.

Don't just sit it on the concrete, you need to stabilize it so when you open the lid and close it, you won't tip it over.

The same tool that you use to lift out the grate is handy for catching the handle of the open lid to pull it closed, tapping the lower vent open/closed.
Lifting it to open, you only need to get it open to the point where you let go the handle and it opens up on it's own, but that means it needs to be stable.
Use the tool to hook it and close.

HTH

Thanks, everyone. When I posed the question last night, I obviously wasn't thinking clearly. That's fairly common these days. Well, it was probably ALWAYS common for me. Anyway, as I was reminded today, I have no business even thinking about this. God spared my life over and over, and He continues to bless and keep me - however He has not allowed me to stand, much less work and my family and I aren't even making ends meet. There is no way we can afford something so frivolous. I will keep the ideas in mind. Lord willing, I'll be able to work again some day. In the meantime, I'm gonna see what I can do with the Keg. I think I'll try to lower it and use a pole attached to the handle, as even with it lower, my arm won't allow me to open/close it while sitting in one place on the side. The WSM will remain a toll for team smoking. :)

Thanks everyone. I do appreciate your advice. I just got ahead of myself. I think the nice weather got to me.

Well, your origional inquiry has perked my interest and after a little research I think I've discovered there is paltry little wheelchair friendly grilling and BBQ stuff. If true, that seems like a shame to me so I'm gonna keep doing some research, design and prototype work.

I think adapter kits for Weber kettles & WSM's are no brainer easy. I'm reasonably reasonably familiar with the Green Egg nest and hinge systems and I think a fairly simple tweek to the nest and an appliance to attach to the hinge would be pretty effective and easy to fabricate. I'm not sure about other cookers, but I'm sure there is a way so my plan is to work on the Kettles & Green Eggs first.

I'll let y'all know what I come up with.

Well, your origional inquiry has perked my interest and after a little research I think I've discovered there is paltry little wheelchair friendly grilling and BBQ stuff. If true, that seems like a shame to me so I'm gonna keep doing some research, design and prototype work.

I think adapter kits for Weber kettles & WSM's are no brainer easy. I'm reasonably reasonably familiar with the Green Egg nest and hinge systems and I think a fairly simple tweek to the nest and an appliance to attach to the hinge would be pretty effective and easy to fabricate. I'm not sure about other cookers, but I'm sure there is a way so my plan is to work on the Kettles & Green Eggs first.

I'll let y'all know what I come up with.
Really?
Coz most people in wheelchairs cannot feel it when their leg is pressed against searing hot steel or ceramic...and those that can still get nasty burns trying to maneuver near these types of bbq.
Maybe research the clients first by listening to them?

Really?
Coz most people in wheelchairs cannot feel it when their leg is pressed against searing hot steel or ceramic...and those that can still get nasty burns trying to maneuver near these types of bbq.
Maybe research the clients first by listening to them?

"Really" - I would hope my conclusion is not true, but the evidence I've seen so far is kinda dissapointing.

But your main point is very good advice! I have discovered that my local university has an ADA ergonomic design institute, they will be my first stop.

Thanks

Ooooooh...maybe a drone that can be controlled via an iPhone. Or better yet, controlled by a Droid. A droid controlling a drone? We are one step closer to no longer needing humans. :wink:

Dan, I was going to suggest a built-in grill of sorts that could be whatever height you want and be free of anything underneath it to make room for your legs in front of you. Built-ins aren't cheap, however, and it sounds like you're going to wait a bit now. Maybe that's a good goal for you to have! Up and grilling in no time!

Its great that you have a keg, I'd think any kamado style cooker would be really great for this. Not only could it go on a low mount but as mentioned there's the potential to motorize the lid. If that wasn't an option I'd think you could have a pulley incorporated into the mount that would let you pull a cord straight down to lift the lid with as much reduction in weight as needed.

"Really" - I would hope my conclusion is not true, but the evidence I've seen so far is kinda dissapointing.

But your main point is very good advice! I have discovered that my local university has an ADA ergonomic design institute, they will be my first stop.

Thanks
Draw no negative conclusion Dave, I am absolutely behind you in this.
I'll help any way I can, and that includes using my conflictory skills to grab your attention, but you'd find me in front of you if you had trouble.
Carry on
:yo:

Thanks

Draw no negative conclusion Dave, I am absolutely behind you in this.
I'll help any way I can, and that includes using my conflictory skills to grab your attention, but you'd find me in front of you if you had trouble.
Carry on
:yo:

Nothing negative inferred here.:thumb:

PS: When I said "I would hope my conclusion is not true, but the evidence I've seen so far is kinda dissapointing" I meant my conclusion that there does not seem to be many BBQ/grilling solutions for wheelchair bound folks.

Back