FINALLY! A Sunday Cook!!

Bill-Chicago

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Ma
As some of you know (privately, publicly here, emails, PM's and IM's) I've been a bit busy lately.

Hell, it took me 2 months to replace a water closet on the farking toilet.

Well about an hour ago, it appeared as though I might actually get to smoke tomorrow. Havent had the WSM going in months.

Then, as I was pulling stuff out of the freezer (shoulda done that yesterday, but didnt know) I realized I was pulling out more than the WSM holds.

I worked my ass off on lawn work and stuff today, and realized, hey, I think I have time to tend a fire tomorrow.

First time since Thanksgiving that the Bandera is getting the cover off it!!!

So the menu is:
2 Sage Bob Evan fatties, 1 Maple JD fatty
Pack Johnsonville skinnies wrapped in bacon
4.5# pork loin
4# Chusck roast
2 slabs baby backs
7# pork shoulder picnic (no butts at the meat market today)

Its been so long, I hope I remember what to do tomorrow. :grin:

I gotta go soak my lump and check my lighter fluid supply :shock:

It's like falling off a bicycle WillKat - you're nuts might be a bit damaged, but your meat should turn out OK.

willkat98 said:
As some of you know (privately, publicly here, emails, PM's and IM's) I've been a bit busy lately.

Hell, it took me 2 months to replace a water closet on the farking toilet.

Well about an hour ago, it appeared as though I might actually get to smoke tomorrow. Havent had the WSM going in months.

Then, as I was pulling stuff out of the freezer (shoulda done that yesterday, but didnt know) I realized I was pulling out more than the WSM holds.

I worked my ass off on lawn work and stuff today, and realized, hey, I think I have time to tend a fire tomorrow.

First time since Thanksgiving that the Bandera is getting the cover off it!!!

So the menu is:
2 Sage Bob Evan fatties, 1 Maple JD fatty
Pack Johnsonville skinnies wrapped in bacon
4.5# pork loin
4# Chusck roast
2 slabs baby backs
7# pork shoulder picnic (no butts at the meat market today)

Its been so long, I hope I remember what to do tomorrow. :grin:

I gotta go soak my lump and check my lighter fluid supply :shock:
Good luck Bill i hope i get to soak my lump tonight too.

Enjoy Bill. We will be rained out in the North East on Sunday but I will be thinking of you while watching the monsoon (2 to 3 inches tommorrow). No worries cause we could use the rain.

Have fun Chicago Bill... you deserve it....

The amount your cooking will make up for lost time... Can't wait to hear and see some pics if possible of the results...expecially the chusck roast !!

I feel like a kid again.

I just spent 20 glorious minutes preping meat.

2 slabs of bb's, at 3.48#. Membrane off, then back to the basics. Southern Flavor Charbroil on the bottom, Blues Hog Rub on top.

In my book, the combination of those two are unbeatable. I may have to break down and compete one day, just to see the scores.

To me, there ain't nothing like this combo. First bite, Southern Flavor Charbroil (black and white pepper, with salt) opens up the pallete, as you chew into the rib with the sweet Blues Hog, you have a flavor explosion. Two classic combos in one.

Boston Butt, smothered liberally in John Henry's Chipotle Cherry rub, and 3 Guys Smokin Pork Powder. Cookswithfire gave me the pork powder, and this stuff is good. Unfortunately, 3 Guys Smokin team disbanded, so what I got is it. Precious Gold mod

So ribs and butts are rubbed and wrapped. Waiting on the defrost of the Chusck and loin.

God I miss this.

Pictures to follow

<edit>
Southern Flavor info in the links section.

You really gotta check them out. I sent out over $300 in Southern Flavor packs when we first opened shop. Started as a Xmas thing, then got nutz. Great all purpose salt seasoning

I'm sorry to keep posting here, but I'm giddy over cooking tommorow on the big unit

Just rubbed down the chusck. Sugar in the raw, cinnamon, and Tex Joy Mesquite. One side was still frozen, but I rubbed it down anyway.

Man my hands smell good

Rub mod

willkat98 said:
I'm sorry to keep posting here, but I'm giddy over cooking tommorow on the big unit

Just rubbed down the chusck. Sugar in the raw, cinnamon, and Tex Joy Mesquite. One side was still frozen, but I rubbed it down anyway.

Man my hands smell good

Rub mod

Hey dude, it's been awhile since you've been giddy, you just post away....

Hope your having fun Bill. Thanks for mentioning Phil's cheesey bread, I think I'll add that to my cook today: three full slabs of spareribs a couple of fatties and now the cheesey bread. Smoke on.

willkat98 said:

Just rubbed down One side was still frozen, but I rubbed it down anyway.

Man my hands smell good

Rub mod

Bill rubs his meat and then smells his hands...pass it on!

Pretty gusty winds today.

Having used primarily the WSM over the past year, I forgot how much work fire control is on the Dera.

Couple times it locked in to 225-235 range, but a couple gusts would pump this puppy up to 250 to 260.

Using the firebox damper all day. 3/4 closed and still eating oxygen with the wind kicked up

willkat98 said:
Pretty gusty winds today.

Having used primarily the WSM over the past year, I forgot how much work fire control is on the Dera.

Couple times it locked in to 225-235 range, but a couple gusts would pump this puppy up to 250 to 260.

Using the firebox damper all day. 3/4 closed and still eating oxygen with the wind kicked up

Bill- ya gotta stay on top of them temps. If they go over 245.32718 degrees for more than 5 minutes and 14.731 seconds--your stuff will be ruined :lol:

And--ya left lots of room for fatties.
Dera is almost empty :lol: :lol:

Have fun BRO and enjoy the day!!!!!!

TIM

Back