Mandolin suggestions

Mandolins are fantastic at removing fingertips, if you don't use the PITA holder thingies that come with them, because chefs use their hands, but you're not a chef. Don't ask how I know this. :rolleyes:

CD

I got a nice divot sliced off of my thumb! :cry:

I have a de buyers from Williams Sonoma (~100$) I use it for potato chips mostly. For everything else I use a 10inch victorinox chefs knife that I love. The de buyers is a great unit and does exactly what I bought it for. Plus you can order replacement blades for about 20$. I personally can cut french fries much faster with a knife but getting paper thin chips is much faster with a slicer.

One other consideration. A food processer. From the chef in my knife skills class. They teach you the right way with knife then you learn about the food processor and how much time you can save. Some have a slower speed for slicing and the quickest slaw I ever made was cut in a food processor.

We have a few, from a stainless french one, down to a cheap V slicer. My absolute favorite is this one . Comes with a boatload of blade choices, and it won't break the bank! Ours came with an accessory blade pack, not sure if that's still available. We got ours at Bed, Bath, and Beyond I think

Amazon.com: OXO Good Grips V-Blade Mandoline Slicer: Kitchen & Dining

I've got the same one as Smoke & Stoke. America's Test Kitchen had it rated as their top choice. I now use it all the time, great for french fries, potato chips, fine julienne for stir fries etc.

It's easy to use and very easy to clean, I highly recommend it.

+1 on the OXO. Had it for a couple of years now and it works great. :thumb:

I bought the Benriner Wide Body Large Slicer (Super Benriner). I have processed many pounds of cabbage for sauerkraut with this thing and can recommend this Japanese Mandolin as a good value ~ $50.00. Get a pair of cut resistant kevlar gloves to go with it.

Have a Bron
bron.jpg

How thick of waffle fries can you cut with that thing? I've been thinking about biting the bullet and getting one.

have a KA stand mixer ??

then you might also want to look at

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-RVSA-Slicer-Shredder-Attachment/dp/B00004SGFP/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364575399&sr=8-1&keywords=kitchenaid+slicer+attachment"]Amazon.com: KitchenAid RVSA Slicer/Shredder Attachment for Stand Mixers: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]

I have a manadolin also, but for big jobs slicing/shredding nappa cabbage etc... I use the KA coarse shredding cone attachement.. works fine and a lot faster for big jobs..:mrgreen:

not only that - I always loved to shred my own Parmesan cheese -
went through - I don't know how many- manual cheese shredders - they all broke with the hard cheese or were a pain in the *ss to use..
The KA fine shredder cone attachment does a wonderfull job at that for me too !!

I bought the Benriner Wide Body Large Slicer (Super Benriner). I have processed many pounds of cabbage for sauerkraut with this thing and can recommend this Japanese Mandolin as a good value ~ $50.00. Get a pair of cut resistant kevlar gloves to go with it.

I have at least 5 mandolins, including the Bron, O eks 0 (guess which key does not work) Sharper Image and Benriner. I absolutely love the Benriner.

I agree with the cut proof gloves. I worked in a kitchen for 25+ years and they are a finger saver when using the mandolins.

Yesterday, I saw Sam's Club had one in the kitchen appliance aisle, I didn't get a really good look at, I think it was about $40. Usually they have everything online, but I can't find it there...

Thinking I might bite the bullet if it is the Oxo.

Back