• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Cambro - 300 v 400

$179 is like the everyday price for the 300 at Cash&Carry in the Seattle area.

My teammate has the H series he uses for catering large gigs, and as spendy as they were he got an energy credit rebate from the PUD which did bring the price down a lot. He also has two UPC400's but prefers the Carlisle's that are the same size as the 300's.

I have two UPC400's and a ThermoBarrier would be nice, but I cut a few sheets of 1/4" Lexan dividers to support foil pans and such. Also have an 180MPC top loader

IMG_1696.jpg

IMG_1694.jpg

IMG_1693.jpg

I use it a lot at home for a couple butts or a brisket and when I do a work cook or a one pan drop off, but its really not practical for much else. Its molded so a full pan seats and you can't stack thinner full pans in it, but for $35 wth.

Gotta watch out for some of the used institutional Cambro/Carlisle stuff, I've seen some that were good looking from the outside, but the interiors have been overheated and distorted or cracked on the interiors, doors that won't seal etc. Replacement parts for them are not cheap either.

I bought a used UPC400 form craigslist for $75. The outside was a bit scratched up but the gasket and interior were perfect.

Pre cook at comps the 400 is great as I just put a pan of ice on the bottom and can hold two butts, two brskets, four racks of ribs and 12-14 chicken thighs in various stages of prep all at once. It is so easy to put two butts in one pan after injectingn then later when its time rub the butts and back into cambro etc. Easy to slide in and out and not piled on top of each other or just left out at comps with flies etc is nice.

Post cook the same in and out with ease is just a great benefit when there are interruptions in processing etc. The only concern is watching to not have toooooooo much heat and carry over cooking but that is just a matter of figuring out your own system.

No way I could hold my butts, briskets and ribs in the 300.

The extra bennys as stated are great especially when having a party or large family dinners. Having all that room for holding main dishes/sides while dealing with appetizers makes the process so much less stressful.

I have the 400 and it works great. The 300 is a little small for comps. The 400 makes holding and transporting a lot easier.

a great thread which I have been bouncing around myself.... Patrick, I have the craigslist app on my phone and have about a dozen "keywords" on constant rotation. They just are not available around here for cheap and if they do go online, its hours before they are bought.

I would rather have two smaller cambros than 1 large one.

Weight gets crazy if you have to move them full. I have a rubbermaid half size and it weights a ton unloaded.

Got a 400 last week after taking 4 weeks to get here. get it out of the box, ogling it for a bit and notice its cracked on the exterior lower left corner FML and time to begin the try to return process.

On saturaday, the family and I passed restaurant Depot and I asked if I could quickly grab a pack of Butts to cook for New Years Eve. I had to take one last look at the Cambros because the sale was ending Yesterday. I'm a big guy so weight isn't an issue, the 400 was so much nicer than the 300...I caved. I took advantage of the sale and bought the 400 at Restaurant Depot. I have to correct that, my wicked awesome wife told me to put the Cambo on the cart.

We have the 400...more than enough room for our needs! :cool: Each comp we cook two 12-14lb packer briskets, two 8-10lb butts, 6 racks of ribs, and a dozen chicken thighs...never had an issue holding any and or all meats at one time if need be. :thumb:

Thanks all for the input. I am now a proud owner of a 400. Can't wait to break it in. I have the thermobarrier coming soon as well to help with smaller loads.

On saturaday, the family and I passed restaurant Depot and I asked if I could quickly grab a pack of Butts to cook for New Years Eve. I had to take one last look at the Cambros because the sale was ending Yesterday. I'm a big guy so weight isn't an issue, the 400 was so much nicer than the 300...I caved. I took advantage of the sale and bought the 400 at Restaurant Depot. I have to correct that, my wicked awesome wife told me to put the Cambo on the cart.

good choice

I tried to grab those but you beat me to the punch. A crazy deal. ..

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

You dont want to know about the Hobart Slicer he had then...

Back