• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Can u grill on a weber smokey mountain?

Big dawg

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm about to give my dad a weber smokey mountain as a gift but I just found out he needs a new grill. I've never owned a smokey mountain so my question is, is it possible to grill on this smoker or is it just a smoker. I might just have to give him a performer.

It is possible, just not optimal. I do it at competitions when I want to grill something Friday night. You can just use the bottom and one of the racks that sits on top of the charcoal ring. At least that is the way I do it. Anyways if he is looking more for a grill that he will use a lot then get him an actual grill........then still get him the WSM :razz:.

You could, if you remove the waterpan and really load it up and open all the vents. But, you will never get the results that you can off of a Performer. If your dad likes to grill get the Performer. He can also smoke on the Performer, butnot like a WSM. Actually he needs both! He is your Dad, right? Come on now, you know ya love him.......Get him both...............:biggrin1:

At times like these we struggle for words. Use "and" not "or". If you live close to him then think of all the fun you will have playing with "his" presents.

Instead of getting him a WSM get him a Weber Kettle. The Kettle is much more versatile than the WSM. It can direct/indirect grilling, smoke most any piece of meat you want, has good capacity, can act as a cold smoker chamber.

If you were thinking of getting him a WSM, I would look at a Weber Performer so you can have the propane assist charcoal lighting, side table and charcoal bin.

wsmgrilladapter4-375x500.jpg

...but I suggest a kettle too.

I call consensus on this thread. :eusa_clap

Agreed both. A 22 1/2 WSM and a Brick Red Performer with the gas assist. Oh and a new chimney, several bags of lump, some wood chunks, new BBQ tools, and apron, case of beer some Butts, chuckies, brats, burgers, ribeyes, a couple of 14# packers. There that should get him going..............:biggrin1:

Another vote for a kettle. When I die I wanna be buried with mine :mrgreen:

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

For the price, get him a 22 inch kettle with a Smokenator 1000 (available on amazon for around $60-$70). That will give him the option to grill burgers and steaks and then drop the Smokenator in to do some low and slow.

Yeah sure he could just set up the charcoal on either side of the kettle and place a drip pan under the meat but what guy doesn't like gadgets and gizmos?! Plus, the Smokenator does allow for true indirect heat and makes things easier to manage.

Back