• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Good source for high quality ribs/pork?

jasonjax

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I posted this on the que forum and got very little response. I imagine you guys have some great sources for getting high quality product. Does anyone mind sharing some options to purchase excellent quality pork online?

I currently get my ribs from Costco 99% of the time, and I'd like to try and see if I can tell much iof a difference from a "premium" source.

Thanks in advance!

I would imagine that some of the small independent farms raising heritage breeds of swine would be able to provide some quality product - but I don't have experience with any of them personally.

http://www.thepigsite.com/info/swinebreeds.php

Here's one source: http://www.gilttaste.com/products/76885968-becker-lane-organic-farm-spare-ribs

Do most competition folks use the warehouse stores for what they turn in?

I'm doing my first comp later this month. It is only "backyard", but I definitely wanted to cover my bases as far as starting with the best thing I can.

Thanks.

Most of the competitors that I know purchase through Sam's Club or Costco.

A few others use their local independent meat store.

One that HawgsNHeifers uses is Herman's Meats in Topeka:

http://www.hermansmeat.com

I'm sure there are similar shops in Jacksonville.

The benefit of working with an independent meat shop is that you can explain to them what you are doing and they can keep an eye out for outstanding cuts and set them aside for you.

I’ve been struggling with this as well. I use several local grocery stores and Sam’s, but I need a one stop shop. I spend the week leading up to a comp running all over the place tryin to find good meat. I’d like to find a good local source for high quality pork and beef.

I buy chicken and ribs at Costco, because the most important thing to me is that it is fresh.

I buy my pork butts and brisket from a local meat market because their pork is decent and they get good quality brisket. They let me "cherry pick" the butts and brisket and he will hold my brisket in his huge walk in fridge for aging.

Save your money and get it at the 3 big boxes listed.
Even fancy pigs roll in chit.

If you are looking for great pork I would look up Eden Farms and find a local distributor. The pork is really really good but I don't use their product for competitions. It's more expensive but worth it in my opinion for non BBQ items.

I don't know much about ordering meat online but... I went around and talked to my local butchers about competition bbq. Some had no intrest in either ordering or talking about comp. q. Eventually I found one that competes at meat competitions (for butchers), liked talking bbq and knew exactly what was needed for a bbq competition. He can also get me fresh and local or from the big pork producers (also can trim to my specifications). Best bet is to go around and start talking to your local butchers, might even have to go up to GA to find a good supplier. Best of luck on whatever you choose!

If you are in Florida...you can go to Buckhead Beef in Auburndale, FL. You will have to drive about 2.5 hours to get there, but you can get berkshire pork and wagyu briskets. You have to fill out the paperwork and have a company to sign up. They do all of the premier meats for Sysco foods. With that being said...expect to pay 2.5X for a Wagyu brisket compared to a Choice Brisket. Additionally, expect to pay 3.5X for berkshire pork.

My opinion is this:
Go to restaurant depot and find a choice brisket that weighs 18# they are running huge right now on briskets. IBP Pork Butts that are weighing 20+# for a 2-pack.
Go to a grocery store and get all natural chicken.
Go to Sams Club and get green labeled IBP Ribs.

Back