• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

chicken-smoked vs grill

H

highestgrade

grilling chicken is quick & easy. smoked chicken is a much longer process. question is to the experienced ppl here. is smoked chicken that much better than grilled chicken?

will ppl leave the grilled chicken & wait for the smoked chicken instead or is it a minimal difference?

Big difference, Its a matter of tastes. I love both.

Try this; smoke it cold for a couple of hours then finish it on the grill. Skin comes off like bacon.

I like the taste of smoked chicken. But, I like the taste of smoke......

Grilled chicken has it's place too.

On the Santa Maria grill all the way :becky:.

BlazinHog2010014.jpg

I loved smoked chicken, breast or thighs, but I also really like grilled chicken covered with sauce that is carmelized, so I smoked a load of breast and thighs and the finish over hot coals.

I love Chicken! Grilled is Great! Smoked is Great! You just need to experiment and see for yourself. That is the only way to know for sure. When you smoke it be careful and do not use too much wood, poultry takes smoke on very easy.

Anymore I do a hot and fast cook with just lump charcoal. Usually I cook indirect on a Weber kettle with the coals as hot as they will go, chicken thighs coated with Plowboys Yardbird rub on the other side of the grill. Cook for 30 minutes and turn over for another 30 minutes, total 1 hour. I have had people tell me it's the best chicken they have ever had, and I am hooked as well.

Wow, you can't compare: two completely different styles. I love smoked, but also love grilled. Chicken really takes on the smoke. It's not a huge time investment to smoke as I usually do that at a higher temp so it doesn't absorb as much smoke.

I usually cook mine indirect at around 400 for pieces or 325-350 for a whole chicken. I just use straight lump or maybe a little Alder, because chicken can be over smoked pretty easily.:becky:

I agree that it's not a real comparison. Plus, there are so many ways to smoke chicken. Technically speaking (and correct me if I'm wrong) but smoking is really below 2250 or 275. Once you're above 300, it's actually roasting. These two techniques will yield different results.

Smoked chicken usually gives a more rubbery or less crisp skin.
Roasting does a better job, but grilling gives you crispier skin.

Then there's direct and indirect grilling. Both will do a different thing as well.

When I grill chicken, I'm usually doing parts....typically breasts. Sometimes bone in, skin on, but sometimes boneless skinless. My favorite is bone in, skin on chicken breasts direct grilled over HOT coals bone side down, then flipped for the last 5 minutes.

When I do wings, I like to indirect grill them with smoke for about 1.5 hours and then finish them direct to crisp the skin.

But, I do a LOT of whole roasted chickens on the smoker. Still smoking, but at the higher temp, it only takes around 45 minutes-1 hour and gives a farkin awesome finished product. The family loves both, as do I.

Last edited:
I like to smoke chicken and finish very hot on the gas grill to crisp up the skin.

I've also smoked splatchcocked chicken on the USD around 225º and when almost finished open all the intakes and raise the temperature to 375º which will also crisp the skin quite a bit.

If I'm in a hurry to cook chicken I'll grill it and still like the results.

Back