• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

CookShack and VBBQC

Gunman9

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey yall I'm relatively new here and love all the information and experimenting and knowledge I have learned. I have been a long time reader lol. Anyways in August I am doing my first competition as an amateur. I own a CookShack SM025 smoker and will be doing ribs and chicken. I have my ribs pretty much where I want them but am having one heck of a time with the chicken! Im just looking for some advice on how to make the chicken right. I am in Virginia and don't really know what the judges will be looking for. It is a KCBS sanctioned event by the way. Here are some "experimental" ribs I tried using seasoned oak wood, and tried 3 different rubs which were YardBird Plowboy, Simply Marvelous Peppered Cow, and John Henry Rub. The Simply Marvelous was the best by far. I am running a rack right now of spare ribs with the Simply Marvelous Sweet Seduction and oak. Any pointers would be great! Thanks!

Attachments

• 10460105_10103104303144092_894377658385124562_n.jpg
    10460105_10103104303144092_894377658385124562_n.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 156
Hey yall I'm relatively new here and love all the information and experimenting and knowledge I have learned. I have been a long time reader lol. Anyways in August I am doing my first competition as an amateur. I own a CookShack SM025 smoker and will be doing ribs and chicken. I have my ribs pretty much where I want them but am having one heck of a time with the chicken! Im just looking for some advice on how to make the chicken right. I am in Virginia and don't really know what the judges will be looking for. It is a KCBS sanctioned event by the way. Here are some "experimental" ribs I tried using seasoned oak wood, and tried 3 different rubs which were YardBird Plowboy, Simply Marvelous Peppered Cow, and John Henry Rub. The Simply Marvelous was the best by far. I am running a rack right now of spare ribs with the Simply Marvelous Sweet Seduction and oak. Any pointers would be great! Thanks!

Are the only meats to be cooked, chicken and ribs? Depending on the sanctioning applied for, your cooker may not be legal.

It is a KCBS sanctioned event by the way.

In KCBS your cooker has to run on wood (pellets included) or charcoal only, not electric for the heat source, so if you are planning on using the SM025 you're out of luck.

Ok! I have several other wood smokers but the cookshack is the one I use on a regular basis. Thanks for informing me about that I had no Idea and I didn't see it anywhere in the rules! This is why I hang out here on the brethren y'all are so much help!

http://www.kcbs.us/pdf/2014_rules.pdf

Second page, item 6.

6) Fires shall be of wood, wood pellets or charcoal. Gas and electric heat sources shall not be permitted for cooking or holding. Propane or electric is permitted as fire starters, provided that the competition meat is not in/on the cooking device. Electrical accessories such as spits, augers, or forced draft are permitted. No open pits or holes are permitted, except at the election of the contest organizer. Fires shall not be built on
the ground.

Whatever cooker you plan on using is the one I would practice on so you have the timing nailed.

It depends on how much you like sleep :-D

I haven't seen one of those in person, but it looks like it is made of thin metal so you'll have to feed the fire constantly. If it's just for ribs and chicken hat's not that big a of a deal, but if you want to do briskets and butts in it someone has to tend the fire.

A WSM would probably be a better choice. They are more money but they will run for hours with little to no tending, especially with a BBQ Guru or similar. If you watch Craig's List you can find good deals on a WSM.

Iv located a guy that builds smokers from 55 gallon drums. Not bad priced at all. Cheaper than an WSM. Ready to go as well. I think that's the way I am going to go.

I'm not aware of kcbs sanctioning an amateur division. Often times the amateur division does run beside a sanctioned event but has its own rules. The organizer can tell you what is permitted for cooking sources.

I will have to check on that JeffR. I am going to get back in contact with the event organizer and ask. Thanks.

Got a new one!

That's a good choice as well! Good luck!

ok, so I traded for this.... The only thing I don't like about it is it does not have a firebox. Where can I buy a firebox for one of these? I contacted some locals here and one guy wanted $450 to make one and another wanted $250!!!!! To me that's a lot for a firebox! I am in Hampton Roads, VA if anyone knows anyone that will build one for a reasonable price! If im wrong about the pricing please tell me lol I am looking for a 20x20x20. Its double the cubic feet my 55 gallon barrel smoker needs.

Attachments

• 10494867_10103115091848442_4440809680936474268_n.jpg
    10494867_10103115091848442_4440809680936474268_n.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 44
Both those prices sound cheap to me. I would jump on either of them. Make sure they are using 1/4" steel as well.

Back