Sorry to Ask....But Which Grill

I am thinking about building a fire basket for the WSM, just the right height, so that it can be used down below for smoking or between the two cooking grates for grilling/searing. (I'll replace the lower cooking grate with the more heavy duty charcoal grate from the 22.5" kettle -- which is the same size I believe.)

Not trying to dissuade you from that idea, but say you did it. To char grill, you'd do the following:

1. Remove dome.
  2. Remove barrel.
  3. Remove basket.
  4. Replace barrel.
  5. Remove grates.
  6. Set basket and start fire.
  7. Replace grates.
  8. Cook.
  9. Put it all back...
The way I built my basket with the eye bolts, I just:

1. Remove the dome.
  2. Remove the barrel.
  3. Start fire.
  4. Set grate on top of eye bolts.
  5. Cook.
Seems like a lot less work and less chance of getting ash all in your barrel.

I second (nineteenth?) the Weber vote...and agree with your opinion about the crimson, great looking finish!

Akorn is a really nice grill, but it's not like you'll ever regret buying a weber kettle grill.

I have both the Akorn and several Webers. I use the Akorn far more than the Webers. That being said I love to cook on the Weber but the Akorn can do the same with more control. True I have done a lot of mods to the akorn ( thanks Jim Setzler) but it is my goto grill for most cooks.

Thanks to all that responded. I think if I did not have WSM i.e. needed something for long low and slow cooks the decision would be harder. However I've decided the Performer wins.

I chose to ask the question here and not over at the Weber board thinking I'd get a more "unbiased" opinion here - it seems however that Weber is held in just as high regard here.

Thanks again.

Well then. I was going to say I have both too, and would still recommend the Weber for durability if nothing else. The Akorn has weathered well, but I don't think it will last as long as the Performer will.

I recently bought a 26.76" Weber and absolutely love it. I've had the 22.5" variety for years and got this new one off Ebay for $219 delivered. It has changed the way I cook steaks by building a fire on one side of it and putting the meat on the other side with the air vent above it. It works great for small smoking projects like a dozen brats etc.
It does eat up some real estate but I wished I'd done it twenty years ago.

Good luck

I recently bought a 26.76" Weber and absolutely love it.
Love mine too. I can do 10 lb of chicken leg quarters indirect at one time. :-D

OTOH I cooked on my 18 WSM today and used the Performer to light the charcoal chimney and then later to set a tray of meat and other stuff on while tending the smoker. Last Friday I cooked Friday's dinner on it consisting of grilled shrimp, peppers, zucchini, broccoli and onions mostly at the same time.

NB: I'm biased in favor of Webers. :becky:

The way I built my basket with the eye bolts, I just:

1. Remove the dome.
  2. Remove the barrel.
  3. Start fire.
  4. Set grate on top of eye bolts.
  5. Cook.
Seems like a lot less work and less chance of getting ash all in your barrel.

Trying to follow this. You grill/sear right on teh base of your wsm.. but why the eyebolts? Doesn't the grate sit down there without them.. I never tried. I know you have to get this little lid hooks to hold the dim hood on and in place.

But you have to bend over to grill that way right. I guess it would be okay if I used a chair.

I chose to ask the question here and not over at the Weber board thinking I'd get a more "unbiased" opinion here - it seems however that Weber is held in just as high regard here.

Weber makes some great products and lots of us own and enjoy using them!

Congrats on your decision!

Back