Just Can't Eat Commercial Sauce Anymore

powerpig

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I've been making my own sauce using all natural ingredients for the past couple of years and friends and family rave about it.

Anyway, I'm staying at a Hotel where they had a Manager's Reception this evening. They had Pizza and Beer along with Ribs and Wings from a local place. Not much of a Pizza person, I grabbed some wings and ribs with a side of sauce. They weren't bad, but the sauce has left a film in my mouth that may take 8-10 Beers to get out.

Anyone else have that problem?

Hmmmmm. A problem being solved with 8-10 beers. Sound like you may end up winning :p.

But all joking aside I make sauce pretty much for all my larger cooks though I still have a few commercial favorites on hand too for when I don't feel like making it. Some are obviously better than others.

Yep I have the same problem and agree with PimpSmoke, a lot of sauce including pizza have preservatives in them that upset my stomach and act as caffeine and keep me up.

8 to 10 beers I got no problem with!!!!

I also had homemade sauce that taste like crap . Just because it homemade doesn't make it good

Home-made anything is usually better than store bought. Although, sometimes while experimenting with proportions in home made sauces, I've made some pretty nasty ones. I just don't serve them to anyone and I keep trying until I get them right.

I think the smaller commercial sauce makers have the opportunity to make a very good product. There are a few here on the forum that stick out in my mind. But the massive brands where the 1st or second ingredient is corn syrup, corn syrup solids, etc. are best left on the shelf.

Yep I have the same problem and agree with PimpSmoke, a lot of sauce including pizza have preservatives in them that upset my stomach and act as caffeine and keep me up.

8 to 10 beers I got no problem with!!!!

Yeah the beer is pretty effective against the caffeine effect also ;)

I have found that as I get further into the whole foods diet the more proccessed food messes me up.

Aside from not tasting quite right I tend to get cramps and indigestion and major heart burn. And thats just the family friendly list lol.

Fast food is a major no no now days, why pay stupid money for some skimpy greasy chain burger when I can slap a pattie on the grill and have more for less and still be eating better?

It's the kern suurp! Makes eerrr-ting filmy!!!

Yup. Corn is in pretty much everything commercial, and corn syrup is cheap sweetener, and something I never even think of using for home cooking.

CD

Funny if you think about it. As we (Brethren) evolve - we are less adaptable and when the apocalypse hits - we're screwed! The bud light/macncheese/twinkie eaters are the ones that are going to survive.

I'm going on about three months without buying any commercial sauce, I made one batch myself and have been trying to perfect my recipe ever since. Waiting for my home grown tomatoes to come in then I'm really going to take this sauce making to another level.

I've made a couple dozen different homemade bbq sauces over the years and then I came to my senses. After a while, everything just started to taste the same. I mean, there are only so many bases you can start with such as ketchup, tomato sauce or apple cider vinegar and sooner than later every different sauce you make tastes like the one before it. That's just my take on things. Now I just leave the sauce making to much better men and women. High fructose corn syrup or not. If it's tasty I'll buy it.

I've been making my own sauce using all natural ingredients for the past couple of years and friends and family rave about it.

Anyway, I'm staying at a Hotel where they had a Manager's Reception this evening. They had Pizza and Beer along with Ribs and Wings from a local place. Not much of a Pizza person, I grabbed some wings and ribs with a side of sauce. They weren't bad, but the sauce has left a film in my mouth that may take 8-10 Beers to get out.

Anyone else have that problem?

Yes!!!!!

I do all my own rubs and sauces.

I also hate commercial salad dressings.

A lot of problems have been solved with 8-10 beers...sometimes it takes Crown Royal though.

I've been making and canning my own marinara sauce for years...can't even look at that commercial store bought chit...

PowerPig,

Care to share the recipie? I understand if you don't!

Going to start making my own, without gluten.

1 24 oz bottle of non high fructose catsup. (I use Hunt's)
1/4 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar.
1/4 Cup Balsamic Vinegar.
1/3 Cup Light or Dark Brown Sugar.
1/4 Cup Mike's Hot Honey. http://www.mikeshothoney.com/Home.html Or your favorite honey.
1/4 Cup Tabasco Chipotle Sauce.
1/8 Cup Worcestershire Sauce.
1 Tsp Garlic Powder.
1/2 Cup of your favorite jelly. (I use non high fructose Grape for Beef and Chicken and Apple for Pork)

I did leave out one ingredient as I plan on selling the sauce. This is a pretty good recipe though.

Back