KCBS Contest Map Application

Paul, how about showing contests by state. Like 2008 Missouri contests all on one Missouri map. I guess you could just show all contests on one map and then a person could zoom in to the state they wanted to see.

Maybe you could tell me a little more how you would use such a view. What good would it do to see all of the contests in MO in a year unless they were also broken down by date? Or do you just want to see a graphical plotting of the dispersion of contests?

I am going to add a button so you can view the entire year at once but the pushpins won't be color-coded. I suppose I could add a drop down list of states that would refocus the map and zoom in on the selected state if it would be helpful.

Also, how about moving all of your text below the map. Makes for better usability once the map redraws. The user doesn't have to scroll as much.

Done. There is still some scrolling involved and I hope users take the time to look below the map for controls. If wanted, I could make the map smaller. That would further reduce scrolling.

Maybe you could tell me a little more how you would use such a view. What good would it do to see all of the contests in MO in a year unless they were also broken down by date? Or do you just want to see a graphical plotting of the dispersion of contests?

Though not a definitive view since Jack Draws aren't specifically identified, you could look to see how many contests are in a given state for the year to understand your chances for a Jack draw. For example, I see a contest coming up in Idaho. Is that the only one? A year view of Idaho would answer that question. Not that I'm going to Idaho, but that's how I'd see it used. Wouldn't totally answer the Jack question, but could give you some context to drill in on.

We need to be on the KCBS Technology Committee. :wink:

The web site you are accessing has experienced an unexpected error.
Please contact the website administrator.

Last edited:
Very nice. I will sticky this for easy finding and comment making. Lots of good ideas coming out of here so far.

Paul, how about showing contests by state. Like 2008 Missouri contests all on one Missouri map. I guess you could just show all contests on one map and then a person could zoom in to the state they wanted to see.

There is a "View by Year" feature on the map now. Once selected, you can narrow the view by state. I color coded the push-pins for past and future contests in this view and added a few navigational features.

2. When (or if) you get to the point of personalization, is it possible to include distance and driving time from a team's home address?

I have added an interactive straight line distance calculator to the map. You can double click to add start and end points to get the straight line distance between the two points. You can also drag and drop the points once created to calculate new distances easily.

Straight line distance will be less than actual driving distance but this should give you a fair estimation of the travel involved.

Mileage and instructions are now located on the right side of the map.

I have added an interactive straight line distance calculator to the map. You can double click to add start and end points to get the straight line distance between the two points. You can also drag and drop the points once created to calculate new distances easily.

Straight line distance will be less than actual driving distance but this should give you a fair estimation of the travel involved.

Mileage and instructions are now located on the right side of the map.

Nice, Paul. I love this thing. I use it a lot. Never have to go to the KCBS Web site. :wink:

Another Plowboy special...

I added another interactive map application that shows the locations of a user selected team's Top 10 hits. It's kind of cool to see where certain teams are concentrating their wins. Thanks again to Plowboy for coming up with the idea.:eusa_clap

KCBS Team Awards Map

Looks great. Next up... Awards Map Widget! :wink:

Someone should be talking to KCBS about resolving their TOY tracking issues. :rolleyes:

Awesome job thanks for all the hard work. I work with some programmers and know that it is not always that easy. Kind of like when some one says hey how about we have you whip up a batch of pulled pork or brisket. they have no concept of the prep and time it takes to do such a thing.

Thanks for your time and use of your talent.

Good work,

Good work,Now maybe KCBS can do this on there website too.I'm hoping to see this with next years dates on it so a team can plan there life.and for year distance calc and a spot where you could addyour zip to see distance to a contest instead just from one contest to another as i understand this works now.

That is one sweet application. Really appreciate all the work that went into it.

Chris Green
QueTPies BBQ Team
Lang Mobile 60

Looks great. Next up... Awards Map Widget! :wink:

Someone should be talking to KCBS about resolving their TOY tracking issues. :rolleyes:

All you had to do was ask...and wait 3 months.:lol:

New Awards Map Widget available for those teams with a Top 10 overall finish since 1/1/08.

Below is a static image of the new widget. The actual widget is fully interactive and can be customized to match other design profiles.

widget2.JPG

It's bigger than a traditional widget (380px x 280px) so it might not work for some layouts.

A few weeks ago Todd (Plowboy) suggested I create an interactive mapping application that visually depicts contest locations. A version of such an application is now available for anyone's use.

http://www.thepickledpig.com/ppapps/contesthub/contestmapper.cfm

The pushpins have info and links tied to them (i.e., results for prior contests). And you can use the legend to narrow the view to weekly.

Could we have one of these for future contests?
Do you need a sponsor?

I just came across this post, this so farking cool!! Paul you are the man!! Thanks for the hard work!!

Back