The problem with a simple salt & pepper rub is ...

I have moved to blended peppercorns both for rubs and for the dinner table grinder.
A more complex flavor and seems to be less heat.
We love it!

This is the one I am using:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Badia-Gourmet-Peppercorn-Blend-16-ounces/dp/B00451ZGSG/ref=sr_1_4?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1352213613&sr=1-4&keywords=badia"]Badia Gourmet Peppercorn Blend, 16-ounces: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food[/ame]

41yuIv06QdL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Might be of some help to you, don't know.

Good Luck

TIM

I bought some fine ground black pepper. I made Pepper Beef Stout, the taste was amazing, but it was hotter than I would like. I was thinking it was the Japs, but I really think it was the fine ground black pepper. Next time I will use a coarse grind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have moved to blended peppercorns both for rubs and for the dinner table grinder.
A more complex flavor and seems to be less heat.
We love it!

This is the one I am using:

Badia Gourmet Peppercorn Blend, 16-ounces: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

41yuIv06QdL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Might be of some help to you, don't know.

Good Luck

TIM

Yep. We've had this particular brand before and it's not too bad at all. Shame the only place that had it locally was the Super K-Mart which is no longer so super.

I never used salt and pepper only rub on pork but I have done so always on brisket. As far as for bark, unless you're using some type of sugar in order promote carmelization, more salt will not have an effect on the amount of bark on your meat. The way this is being used it is more of a seasoning and less of a rub.

Weigh out the salt and pepper, I use diamond kosher salt and course restaurant style black pepper my girl hates hot anything but she can tolerate it.I also use lemon pepper in my SnP mix though, dirty D rub.
What's lemon pepper?

Trim the bark on theirs
That's what we did so far, but they would like to have bark as well.

Using the stuff that comes in the tin will really spice it up, peppercorns get hotter the finer they are ground. I use 16 mesh for everything. Grind your own and control the heat. Pink peppercorns are very mild if course black is still to hot.
I already thought about grinding myself, and I already looked but could not find a proper mill that can do "larger" amount (we only have a small battery powered table pepper mill). What machine do you use to grind pepper? I would like to have a universal unit, to be able to grind down my very coarse Sal Marina Natural (that comes in 4.42 lbs bags) as well. Any recommendations?

Personally, I wouldn't use a grinder for both pepper and salts, unless you want pepper flavored salt. We use a simple wooden hand grinder that will go from very coarse to fairly fine. Check your local kitchen gadget shop?
Oh, and lemon pepper is basically granulated lemon zest mixed with cracked black pepper.

Weighing out your salt and pepper will just increase your pepper. Go to coarse pepper like Adams coarse, salt your meat first then add the desired amount of pepper. Or you can make the dirty Dalmatian with equal part of white or brown sugar

Use coarse salt and black pepper, do not use the white pepper, it is hotter than black. Use these individually and eyeball the coating for each. Sugar can help reduce the heat so either put it on before cooking or use a sweet sauce later.

I have the same conditions at my house half my family can hardly tolerate even black pepper and like myself the rest like it at least warm, so I feel your pain.
Dave

... that it always gets too hot for my wife and especially the kids.

I already tried different ratios, starting with 50/50 salt & black pepper and 50/25/25 salt + black pepper + white pepper, but nevertheless it's still too hot for them every time.

What else can I try not letting any other ingredients disturb that simple but effective flavor profile of just salt & pepper?

I guess it doesn't make sense to just reduce the amount of pepper, because then all that remains is the saltiness. :confused:
do u wrap, if so, when? that is the main problem with people.... not realizing rubs are optimized for styles.

I believe pink pepper is not true pepper. Sugar usually is what helps create bark.
[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_peppercorn"]Pink peppercorn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

I never used salt and pepper only rub on pork but I have done so always on brisket. As far as for bark, unless you're using some type of sugar in order promote carmelization, more salt will not have an effect on the amount of bark on your meat. The way this is being used it is more of a seasoning and less of a rub.

Salt & Pepper rubbed Butt "no sugar" bark aint a problem

DSCF0028Kissbutt.jpg

do u wrap, if so, when? that is the main problem with people.... not realizing rubs are optimized for styles.
Yes, I usually foil at around IT 165°F, so that's interesting. How are rubs optimized for style? You can't really go wrong with simple salt & pepper, and I did not really try some of the more sophisticated rubs with lots of ingredients (except for that farked up pastrami, for which the rub was one of the problems).

Salt & Pepper rubbed Butt "no sugar" bark aint a problem
Yep, if it works on beef, it should work on pork as well, and that's what I want to try on my next pork.

No fresh peppercorns for grinding? Perhaps the pink or red ones would be more mild. I shudder to think though that if they're bothered by a little piperine, what a goodly dose of capsaicin might do...:shocked:

i heard that those aren't actually peppercorns, rather a berry. in any event, i love to buy those and the white, red and green from the spice house and mix it up.

I'm a big fan of the 4 color peppercorns freshly ground. But yeah, for salt and pepper rub if they are getting too much zip, back off on the rub a bit. I hate to mention this, but in the recent Franklin video on prepping the brisket, he makes it a point to say don't apply too much rub. (don't hate me PT)

Another thought. People will build up a tolerance for a little heat. So if you feed them a few mild meals, then start to gradually kick it up, they may eventually become converts.

It's a common belief that younger people and children have more sensitive taste buds. As we get into our 20s, the buds start to die off, just like the little hairs inside our ears (cilia). Once they're gone, they don't come back.

White pepper is the hot one.
They are the same peppercorns, just different ripeness when picked...and black is the hotter one.
Different peppercorns have different heat profiles but as Boshizzle said, the grind particle size is what you need to focus one here, then volume porportion.
Grind in larger particle sizes for less heat.

Back