• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

BBQ Android App Just Released

moontz

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hi Folks - we have been using an Android app we developed over the summer and got most of the kinks worked out so decided to put it on the Android market. Since we are doing this mostly for fun and not to make cash (at least for now) we are offering it for free fully functional and no ads (limited time until we see how things go).

We put the details on the website and android page if you would like to try it or see what it offers. It was originally intended primarily for temp control integration but as we started using it, we use it even without the temp control for tracking our practice cooks and comp cooks and really has worked well for organizing our notes, pictures, scores, etc... So you do not need a temp control device to get some great benefit from it. If you dont like it, just uninstall :grin: Nothing lost.

But... if you do have a BBQ Guru WIFI, you must try it as it is really pretty bada$$ and takes the guru wifi to another level

All I ask, if you do try it, since we are doing this for free and as sort of a thank you for all the help the brethren forum has provided, please give us a friendly android rating and/or a facebook like or something.

Dont hesitate to shoot us an email with any issues or thoughts on how to improve it. We enjoy doing this stuff.

A couple screens below, but like I said, either of the below websites will give you details on the functionality, how to download, and more screen shots.

Android App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bdm.pitpal

home.jpg dash.jpg cook_detail.jpg chart.jpg quick_add.jpg

Thanks, I'll give it a try even though I prefer my iPhone to my Android.

You sure this app doesn't phone home with all our BBQ notes and tricks? haha

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

I don't have any android devices but I think this thread persuaded me to get one. Just hope it stays free until santa has been.:-D Thanks for doing this.

Thanks, you tech. guys and gals amaze me everyday. Yes I own a phone but I much prefer the good old bbq stare. That would be when the wife walks out the door and I'm sitting in my chair with a cold one in my hand with that glazed over look in my eyes staring at my smoker. I do see the value in what you did here but I prefer my bbq hobby a little more old school. Good job though.

First of all, Thank you for developing this.

I don't have a Guru, but it sounds like you can still use the app to log cooks, etc. I don't normally do that, but I really should. I think I am going to download the app and try it out.

Thanks

Hopefully something like this comes to the iPhone/iPad soon. Looks fantastic!

Wow!! This is great. I just downloaded it and opened it. What a nice clean UI. A couple of suggestions:

• add a config option that will allow you to tell your device to not sleep
  • a configurable alert (with a sound file of your choice) that will fire off when the pit temp reaches a certain temperature
  • the above would also be nice for the two food probes
  • ability to change orientation from portrait to landscape
I am looking forward to trying this out on a cook. It looks awesome.

Wow!! This is great. I just downloaded it and opened it. What a nice clean UI. A couple of suggestions:

• add a config option that will allow you to tell your device to not sleep
  • a configurable alert (with a sound file of your choice) that will fire off when the pit temp reaches a certain temperature
  • the above would also be nice for the two food probes
  • ability to change orientation from portrait to landscape
I am looking forward to trying this out on a cook. It looks awesome.

Hi - thanks for the feedback. Each point addressed below.

- The device will/should still track temps and execute notifications even if your device is asleep. We have tested this a bunch of different ways and has worked fine for us. Let us know if you are seeing differently and it is not notifying properly. We use the same notification engine that google uses for their apps so hoping they accounted for all of the gotchas.

- You can configure the temp alerts currently. You just choose a different notification type. There is a lot of functionality buried that will come up as you play with it. We also have pre configured temp alerts for 3-2-1, 2-2-1, etc so one click setup if u wanted. Regarding the sound, you know we had that functionality where it would give a specific alarm for the pit pal when alerts went off (was a loud dinner bell type sound). But then it just got annoying so we took it out :) So now it is tied direct into whatever notification settings you have on your phone. So it will use whatever sound you have configured, or vibrate, or silent. Whatever ur phones notify settings are set to.

- All of the alarm/notifcation functionality can also be setup for each individual food. You see a clock icon under each temp for cook and food so you can set different individual time or temp alarms per food.

- Landscape will come later if the demand is there. Requires a bit of effort to make it look as nice in landscape so left that out for now.

Back