I've decided to go with a Humphrey's. Opinions Please

SC_Dave

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have narrowed down my pit to a Humphrey's but which one I'm not sure yet.

Here are the ones I'm considering.

The DownEast Beast
The Battle Box
The Pint

For those that are familiar please give your thoughts please.

Thanks
SC

I am waiting for the beast to arrive. I do catering gigs so I needed the space. When I talked to Kevin about then he told me to remember your biggest cook and add a little more. Hate to buy a smoker and then it's too small. That's what I had them make my beast bigger...

Pretty much the only thing that made me pass up on a Humphrey's was the lack of a drain for the water pan. I think you're really going to like your smoker!

I have the beast with drop-in water pan.

I am as happy as can be.

To me the water pan drain isn't an issue because I use a full size foil pan on a shelf above it to catch dripping. I simply throw out the dripping pan and all I have to do is empty what little water remains and rinse it clean.

The battle box is a shorter version of the beast, but I have not seen the pint so I cannot comment on that one.

I ordered a battle box. She be arriving in the next week or so. I ordered a basting tray for mine, as I got white doors. I got to see one in action at a contest this weekend. It was pretty awesome looking and was told very efficient on fuel.

I don't use this style cooker but just for frame of reference my RF stickburner has about 2500 square inches of cook space on 2 cooking grates set with anout 5"-7" of spacing. I can easily do 18-20 racks of SL ribs or 10-12 butts or 6-8 briskets. I have noticed this style cooker spaces their cooking grates pretty close - OK for ribs but you might need to remove every other grate for larger cuts (thereby reducing your overall cooking space), so I would go with one of the bigger ones. Good luck!

airflow is much more important on reverse flow verticals. You can research what people say about simular BWS models and use that info to help decide what you want. I think a good rule of thumb is you dont want the racks loaded more than 65-75% if you want anything below that rack to cook. Also with reverse flow verticals, that top couple inches is going to be a blast chamber and that doesnt matter what brand you go with.

Think of the Pint as a G2 Party, and the Cube as a jacked up Fatboy that holds pans. The beast is about 4" taller in the cooking chamber than the Pint and built like a brick s***house.

Size does matter!

I don't use this style cooker but just for frame of reference my RF stickburner has about 2500 square inches of cook space on 2 cooking grates set with anout 5"-7" of spacing. I can easily do 18-20 racks of SL ribs or 10-12 butts or 6-8 briskets. I have noticed this style cooker spaces their cooking grates pretty close - OK for ribs but you might need to remove every other grate for larger cuts (thereby reducing your overall cooking space), so I would go with one of the bigger ones. Good luck!

You wouldn't need to remove grates as they are totally adjustable with shelf slots spaced every 2". I just did a cook in mine and had 12) 8 lb pork butts with much room between and around the meat. I could have fit more in if I needed to, but I only needed 10 butts for the customer and two for me.

Pretty much the only thing that made me pass up on a Humphrey's was the lack of a drain for the water pan. I think you're really going to like your smoker!

They have a built in water pan with drain option. I went with the slide out for ease of cleanup.

Back