• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Brining thighs, how long?

It is NOT just how long....

I too use Oakridge game changer and love it. :clap:

It depends on how you mix it. I have done it full strength and half strength. The directions and estimated time are on the bags....

The last time, I used full strength and let them (thighs) soak for 5 hrs... turned out GREAT...

And thanks for the reminder, it is almost time to order again.... :decision:

We brine our thighs in Kosmo's Chicken soak for 3 hours tops. I cooked with another team this year the weekend after we received our 180 in chicken and we accidently put the chicken into the brine for 12 hours.

The chicken skins absorbed so much liquid that they literally burst like popcorn in the smoker. It was like they disappeared.

Thats very interesting, I've brined halves in KCS overnight for 8 -10 hours and never had any thing like that happen.

They say an hour per pound, but I've never had a problem going twice that.

here's another question about timing. do you think the brine would still be effective if you brined the day before and let them air dry overnight? would that impact the effectiveness of the brine? or do you need to brine and then on the cooker right out of the brine?

here's another question about timing. do you think the brine would still be effective if you brined the day before and let them air dry overnight? would that impact the effectiveness of the brine? or do you need to brine and then on the cooker right out of the brine?

I've done it both ways and not noticed any difference (they both work great).

Can you inject the oakridge brine product like some of the other big name products like butchers? and get the same results?

Can you inject the oakridge brine product like some of the other big name products like butchers? and get the same results?

The short answer is: Yes, you can.

However, I don't inject chicken thighs. They are small enough, the brine gets in there very easily without needing to inject.

Pork Butts are a different story. I highly recommend injecting them with Game Changer at full strength mixed with apple juice and ginger ale in a 50/50 ratio instead of water. I try to get at least 10-12 ounces into each butt.

Here's the process:
  • Trim your butts like you usually do.
  • Coat HEAVILY with our Comp or Secret Weapon rub.
  • Cover butt tightly in two layers of plastic wrap.
  • Then inject down through the plastic wrap until the butt can't take no more.
  • Rest in fridge or cooler for at least 8 hours.

Back