Comp Chicken Twice Cooked?

Meat Burner

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Question for the competition folk. Is it legal to smoke chicken low and slow to get the smoke flavor, then cool in refrig or cooler overnight, then cook again on high heat to crisp up the skin? I didn't think you could do that but this is the place to ask. Thanks for any opinions.

as far as i understand, and as far as food safety goes, as long as you followed the proper cooking and cooling procedures, and cooked and prepped all on-site, there would be no problem

Oh, I understand about temps for cooling and reheating but I didn't realize you could remove from the heat source and return later. Maybe this is why I can't win chit.

So, you can cook chicken on Friday (just an example), to get the smoke flavor and then cool down to a safe temperature withing the allowed time requirements. Then, the next day add the chicken back to high heat to crisp up the sking. That is okay per the KCBS rules? May just my lack of understading about the rules. I know you cannot do this with pork but is it okay with chicken. Jest wandering about his procsedute and if it is okay according to the rules.

Oh, I understand about temps for cooling and reheating but I didn't realize you could remove from the heat source and return later. Maybe this is why I can't win chit.

You could go on and off the smoker or grill all day long if you wanted. Your competition meats cannot throughout the cooking process receive DIRECT heat from a propane or electric source. INDIRECT such as placing chicken in warm sauce or brisket in hot au jus (as long as your off flame at the time) is perfectly legal.

Vinney, we were at a comp today and the team next door said they did this all the time. I may be confusing this with other meats which the meat once removed from the smoker or cooking sourse, cannot later be returned to further cook or reheating. Maybe the sun has gotten to me but I am confused. Nothing new BTW!

you might be thinking of pork, which cannot be separated and returned to the cooker. other meat, can be. but all can go back forth as much you please.

Didn't realize you could do that. Not sure what the advantage would but...just didn't know any better about the rules. Thanks everyone.

im told when you take meat off smoker you can not reheat or resmoke on smoker

im told when you take meat off smoker you can not reheat or resmoke on smoker

You have been told wrong (as far as KCBS rules are concerned). http://www.kcbs.us/pdf/KCBS-Rules-and-Regulations-2010.pdf - rules 6 to 13 are specific to cooking.

The only stipulation is in Rule 10) under Pork. Pork must be cooked whole and not separated during cooking and once separated cannot be returned to the cooker. This does not apply to pork ribs, chicken or brisket. So pork in whole form can go on/off as desired but once separated no more DIRECT heating.

I don't necessarily agree with it but part of understanding the KCBS rules is noting what is NOT written and thus perfectly legal.

Vinney, we were at a comp today and the team next door said they did this all the time. I may be confusing this with other meats which the meat once removed from the smoker or cooking sourse, cannot later be returned to further cook or reheating. Maybe the sun has gotten to me but I am confused. Nothing new BTW!

Keith, I think he was pulling your leg a bit (maybe not). It WOULD be legal, but I couldn't see any benefit from doing it. It was nice to see you this weekend.

I know a team that does this with their ribs. And they win ribs often.
Don't know of anyone doing it with chicken.

Hey Chad, was really nice to see you and Nicole. Thanks for the hospitality!!! I cannot imagine how reheating smoked chicken would be good but it got me to wandering about the rules. KC Bobby mentioned you can reheat pork as long as it hasn't been parted...didn't know that either. I thought all these other threads talked about that not being legal. Glad everyone chimmed in. Thanks.

Back