• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Cutting board recommendations......

Why would a piece of steel stop holding an edge? Someone whisper to them and let them know how old they are so they go on strike and retire?

Only thing I can think of is if somehow it lost it's temper........

SAMs has a nice, large plastic cutting board at a good price. That is what I use for trimming brisket and pork butt before the smoke and for slicing afterwards.

Against the grain of most on this post, but I went to a smoking class and the subject of knives came up. The responce was "go to Sam's and by them, 2 for $10, use them and pitch when they no longer hold an edge".

But...he who dies with the most toys wins:becky:

Was thinking either a block or a wall magnet strip.

I recommend the magnetic strip. Most of our knives are in the drawer or knife block, but everyone in the house knows that the four knives on the magnetic wall mount are mine (3 chef's knives and a cleaver). Those knives never go in the dishwasher, they don't get dropped in the sink. They get hand washed and put back on the strip. It helps that I've got the strip in a corner over the sink, so they're hard for everyone else in the house to reach. (I'm 7" taller than my wife.)

Against the grain of most on this post, but I went to a smoking class and the subject of knives came up. The responce was "go to Sam's and by them, 2 for $10, use them and pitch when they no longer hold an edge".

But...he who dies with the most toys wins:becky:

I do the same. I did however purchase a really nice electric knife sharpener which continually pays for itself. I use the SAMS Club knives and sharpen them before each competition.

My dad was an old time butcher, so I grew up with good knives and wooden butcher blocks.
On cutting boards...
I've got one cutting board that I made from a 2"X12", not fancy, but it was sanded then oiled, let it seep in, then oiled again. Several times over It was oiled and it's like an old trusty friend. I clean it, and oil it before I put it up. I've had it for about 40 years or so.

Buy a quality knife, clean it yourself, by hand, then put it up.
I have a whole drawer of old junk knives for others to use.
I sharpen them too.

I have 1/2 dozen Meat Cleavers in different sizes and shapes. They don't get much use now a days.
Still great for butchering an occasional deer or hog.

I don't have much use for plastic cutting boards or the paper thin cutting mats lots of folks use no a days.

Most old fogies seem to rely on real knives, wooden cutting boards,
Cast Iron cookware ect... Not to mention Old trucks, 12Ga. shotguns, and 1911 pistols. (Guilty on all counts)

Last edited:
Wood boards are old news, plastic boards get dirty, can be cut, and obsorb juices and odors.

BAMBOO boards are the only way to go.

Look at this:

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/epicurean-cutting-board/

This dishwasher-safe cutting board is made in the USA of Richlite, an exceptionally durable wood-fiber composite that has been used in commercial kitchens for over 40 years.
  • Made of Richlite, a lightweight yet durable wood-fiber composite that won’t dull knives, harbor bacteria or absorb unwanted flavors and odors.
  • Has a convenient corner hole for hanging.
  • This NSF-certified board meets the high-level safety standards for professional kitchens

I got one of these in a package deal with a Wusthoff carving knife and have run it through the dishwasher a few times - it seems just fine after going through. I was talking with a woman at a kitchen store and she said she puts hers in the dishwasher "all the time".

The best cutting boards are the end grain type that cost the most but do not dull your knife. For a good one of those you are gonna pay $100 and up.

My dad was an old time butcher, so I grew up with good knives and wooden butcher blocks.
On cutting boards...
I've got one cutting board that I made from a 2"X12", not fancy, but it was sanded then oiled, let it seep in, then oiled again. Several times over It was oiled and it's like an old trusty friend. I clean it, and oil it before I put it up. I've had it for about 40 years or so.

Buy a quality knife, clean it yourself, by hand, then put it up.
I have a whole drawer of old junk knives for others to use.
I sharpen them too.

I have 1/2 dozen Meat Cleavers in different sizes and shapes. They don't get much use now a days.
Still great for butchering an occasional deer or hog.

I don't have much use for plastic cutting boards or the paper thin cutting mats lots of folks use no a days.

Most old fogies seem to rely on real knives, wooden cutting boards,
Cast Iron cookware ect... Not to mention Old trucks, 12Ga. shotguns, and 1911 pistols. (Guilty on all counts)

I love my Colts !!!

20121108_084838.jpg

Shot the Commander a good bit today, in fact.

Met some buddies at one o their houses and smoked some wings and shot quite a few rounds, too.

Left the Gold Cups at home, though. Can't afford to keep them fed, too.

Checked the zero of my main deer rifle. All was well.

20130122_143448.jpg

From a food science point of view, wood is best on each front, and surprisingly antibacterial qualities too...but don't dishwasher them.

I recently had to have a new cabinet built so I could fit a new oven/stove in my Man Cave kitchen...

Cabinet.jpg

My friend who built this for me put on a beautiful black walnut and cherry top. I loved it so much I had him build me a cutting board out of the same material. This board is 15x20x1.5 and its almost too pretty to cut on...

cuttingboard.jpg

He made this board for me for $80 which I think is a bargain after looking around for nice wood block cutting boards online. If you know a cabinetmaker or carpenter close by you might want to check into something like this...

If you are in the metro Atlanta area, check out Restaurant Equipment Market at I-85 and Presidential Pkwy. You'll be happier than a pig in slop! :tongue:

My experience with cutting boards. I keep a maple cutting board for veggies, herbs, breads, carving cooked meats, etc. etc. etc. I have a plastic board, a big one I bought from Sam's Club or Wal-Mart or somewhere for raw meats, and then I also keep flexible cutting boards, the cheapo ones, that I buy from Amazon, or Kroger depending. The Wal-Mart ones are too cheap for me, they don't last as long. I use those whenever I'm chopping a LOT of stuff, makes cleaning the board so much easier. Take it for what it's worth.

The only advice I'd give regarding knives is to give up using a dishwasher for them. Even cheapo knives aren't really meant for a dishwasher. They can go in, but that doesn't mean they 'should' go in. If you want good knives, you're going to want to hand wash those bad boys whenever you're done with them, or wipe them down at the very least and set them aside until you can hand wash them. Good habits for knives!

+1 for a bit white cheap plastic cutting board for meats. For about twenty bux you can have one and they are probably the best and easiest to clean up. They are likely too big for a dishwasher if you get one large enough fro ribs and brisket, but they clean up quickly with a soapy sponge in the sink.

I have 2 if the epicurean cutting boards, one for raw meats and the other for everything else. I've been putting them in the dishwasher for 2 years and haven't had a problem with them.

As for knives, i have a couple decent ones from Ikea and a couple my ex-in-laws got from a family of knife makers. They all get hand washed.

I have used the Victorinox w/the vibrox handles and they were just fine

Back