Competition Chicken

T and I have cooked so much chicken for practice that I don't even care for chicken anymore. You might want to consider a brine, marinade, or injection to get some additional moisture into the meat. If this weekend's results don't turn out as you would like them to, PM me and I'll share some tips with one of our founding fathers and the king of the easy bake oven.

Neil, how long will the EBO hold temps and how heavy is it? Can you get them in colors? How long does it take to get one shipped? Is anyone going to Sevierville have one that I can check out?

You guys are funny!

Holds temps great...unless the electricity goes out.

I'm only aware of a pink model. Real men wear pink anyway. That or you could spray paint pretty much anycolor you want.

Typically every Walmart, Target, Kids R Us in the world has them. I once saw them on sale at a Wally World. They had RACKS of them. I asked about buying a pallet of them, but really, the cost of the light bulbs was too prohibitive.

Shipping is usually 3 - 5 days. Comes secured in a sturdy foam box. Usually comes on a truck of some sort, often brown or white.

Kick, thanks for the chicken advice offer. I was definitely thinking of trying some marinated and injected. But I had forgotten about our old friend the brine. I might throw that in as well. If I can't find a marinade/injection I like I'll post for some advice. I'd like to experiment with some flavors first though to see what I can come up.

Buddy is doing a pork butt today. He wanted to see what would happen if he soaked it in applesauce all night. Should be interesting. I told him he might want to inject some too as I didn't know if that had enough kick to soak into the meat. But still, cool idea. Something I had never thought of.

I think judges would be fine with anything as long as it's done really well. White meat is a different texture, so know what you're doing. Drums are easier to mess up than thighs, so be careful.

I like cooking drums for the variety from others and ease of prep...

Here's some drum box pics... .. Still a work in progress and trying some new things, but overall appearance scores are very good regardless of what type and amount of rub/sauce/method of cooking.

Box 1 is what they usually look like.. glazed late in the cook.

Box 2 was cooked differently (different rub/cooked in a covered aluminum pan later in the cook with sauce in it)

The highest score I've gotten cooking drums was a 162... (the first box)... Lowest was not much lower...

First look at those pics and I thought the top looked the best...but...the more I looked at the second one, the more I really wanted to taste it. I looked at the second one again and again, and it says.....TAKE A BITE!
Just my $.02.

I dont understand why you wouldn't turn in a selection. For instance...a nicely smoked breast showing a great smoke ring, 4 drummies, and a couple thighs, also sliced. I know that all the judges couldnt try everything, but they are not judging the thighs, they are judging the box.

Is this skewed thinking?

Last edited by a moderator:
You can fit 6 drums and 6 thighs in a box for a good combo.

I sense an EBO event for Sayville! Assuming they can keep the power on :wink:

I dont understand why you wouldn't turn in a selection. For instance...a nicely smoked breast showing a great smoke ring, 4 drummies, and a couple thighs, also sliced. I know that all the judges couldnt try everything, but they are not judging the thighs, they are judging the box.

Is this skewed thinking?

A little. The judges will not judge the box, other than for appearance. They will judge you based on the piece or pieces of meat that they try. If they try only the breast (and KCBS rules say they could try just one piece) it could hurt your score.

My first comp I thought giving people a choice would be appreciated. It wasn't. :tsk:

Wow...who the heck resurrected this thing!!!

And for the record, lets see, in the past three years I HAVE taken a judging class, HAVE turned in thighs (to no success), turned in wings this past weekend...to no success, and still love my EBO. Man can that thing keep a solid temp for about 700 hours straight... :twisted: Just hope Bunny never comes to DQ me on it!

Isn't there a thread somewhere with me peeing in a pool? :rofl:

Back