• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Intro and Wine Barrel Smoker Project Build Thread

funman1

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
A little bit about me... I do IT as my day job and am a Professional Pyro at my night job. :)
Here are some pics and videos if interested...
http://steveries.com/fireworks

Now onto Smoker business....

I wanted to build a smoker, and I was going to go UDS but then fell in love with the idea of making it beautiful and functional.

So hence the Wine Barrel Smoker.

Info about its design.
Brand new wine barrel fresh from a local winery.
Still in progess
Planning to use the Amaz-N-Smoker (LOVE IT!) to create smoke.
Plan to use an electric hot plate burner just for heat (as needed) so I will be able to cold smoke or hot smoke.
Hot plate will be controlled via electronic thermostat.
Stained the wood with a nice finish I liked
Plan on having two grates for cooking
Plan to add a stack to the top
Plan to finish the door at the bottom
Used a special paint for the bands (7214 Gray) called Hammered. That give the metal a hammered look AND TEXTURE I loved.

Onto pics...
nsuds1.jpg

nsuds2.jpg

nsuds3.jpg

nsuds4.jpg

nsuds5.jpg

nsuds6.jpg

nsuds7.jpg

nsuds8.jpg

What do you guys think???

Wow that's a pretty cool rig! Thanks for sharing and welcome to the club! You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave!

Chris

Very cool

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

I really like the idea, and nice job on the fit and finish details! I'm interested to see how well it holds temp, I'm betting it does well being made of wood. Don't forget to post updates and more photos!

Funman

I too built a WBS. They are a great conversation piece and look great on the patio. Unfortunatley, mine is currently down but not out. My error was not accounting for the central California heat. As hard as I tried, I could not keep the moisture in the wood which eventually led to air leaks and uncontrollable temperatures. I have plans to revive mine but am waiting to see the results of some improvement ideas when I made one friend. He's doing the finishing touches this week.

Here is a link to my thread if you are interested.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126691

Outstanding start to what I'm sure will be a work of wine barrel art once complete :thumb:.

I see overspray in locations. A good 1/16" maybe more. Looks horrible, give it to me so nobody else sees it and try again. I'm trying to help you save face.
I'm only serious, I'll take it!

Very unique, I dig it!

Added the door and the smoke stack today.
Need to add a latch on the door for sure.
As for the temp issues there should be no issues because it's going to be run by an AMPS for smoke and heater coil with controller for exact temps.

Yes I can now see light between all the staves, but so far it's not effecting performance.
Todays test in the shade, Ambient temp 81: with AMPS running single end ignition 30 mins into running it, stabilized perfectly at 105 for 3 hours.
Yes not high enough for cooking, and too high for cold smoking BUT, it proved with a stable heat source the temp was stable.
Smoke was even coming out of the staves during the smoke because of the gaps.
So when the CA weather starts to get colder I want to cold smoke.
And want to cook when i get the heater installed :)

nsuds9.jpg

nsusd9.jpg

Nicely done. I've got a wine barrel that I'm going to start on soon (hopefully). What did you do about the bung hole? How did you cut the lid?

Matt

Sometimes you can get barrels like that except they held bourbon or whiskey. :biggrin1:

Now I'm hungry.

That's nothing short of awesome. I *need* one of those.
Would a nice coating of mineral spirits on the inside and outside help keep the wood moist?

Yes any barrel will work, I happen to live near wine country so hence the wine barrel.
To cut use a jig saw. I recommend screwing each stave in each ring before you cut it up.
The bung hole will have a 2"ish coper pipe that 90's down on the inside then 90's again on the floor. Haven't found a good control for the pipe yet but prolly a circle sheet metal plate or something with a screw in the top and rotates off set.

Since it's going to be electric with AMPS; air control is not nearly as important when using briquettes.

Still have that to do, and add the grates.

Added the 22" racks in today with the ubolts.
Went with two racks in case I want to get crazy and do LOTS of meat :)

nsuds10.jpg

Added a handle to the door and a nice decorative lock to keep it closed now
nsuds11.jpg

nsuds12.jpg

Painted the other side of the ubolts to match the bands on the paint
nsuds13.jpg

And now doing a full 3lbs of beef jerky and smoking away.
nsuds14.jpg

Still need to work on the pipe for the bung hole
And still need to add electric coils to cook with.....

Little bit each week :)

Back