Smoker for Inside

sweetheatbbq

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have some friends that are looking to put a smoker inside a restaurant they are buying. They are wanting to put it under the existing exhaust hood. Does anyone have any recommendations on smokers or if this is not a good idea? I know from reading other post ole hickory seems to be the way to go for a commercial smoker but I wasn't sure if anyone has some different thoughts. Thanks

You need to talk to the local health department and code enforcement people and possibly the fire Marshall. I don't think a smoker indoors under a exhaust is a good idea and would never fly where I live. It would definitely have to be direct vented unless it's designed for that specific application.

my area buildinig inspector looked for the UL tag and he also inspected the electrical conections and gas line..

In your area you can find plenty of solid used units for sale within a couple hours.

Ole Hickory Pits is solid, there are many, but first find out goals and go from there.

Where in St Louis?

Ive heard good stuff about Bewley. You want to check with the health department and fire marshal. You will save yourself a lot of time and headaches.

You may want to check with your insurance carrier as well. As said before, like a furnace it would need a ul label here in bucks county, could be different elsewhere.

I run this small water smoker under the hood, the draw is usually fine. But occasionally it's not and the smell of smoke drifts into the bar, which I think is a good thing, makes guests feel like they're camping, then they drink more! But we only run this a few times a week. I am planning on installing a permanent cabinet smoker and feel it will be best to direct vent it after my experiences with the water smoker.
cheapy-smoker.jpg

I visited the Culinary Institute of American in CA a few years back, their teaching kitchen runs about a half dozen Bradleys, all sitting on the counter under a hood, no direct vent or even ducting to the hood. But those were some big ass hoods...

I visited the Culinary Institute of American in CA a few years back, their teaching kitchen runs about a half dozen Bradleys, all sitting on the counter under a hood, no direct vent or even ducting to the hood. But those were some big ass hoods...

Sad to hear their teaching with Bradleys.

Their also not cooking overnite.

Alto Schaam makes one with no exhaust needed. I believe it has a catalytic converter so you only need a drain...

There are many options, but, both the building department and fire department need to be contacted, as they will both have jurisdiction over any cooker that burns wood. You also want to consider the difference between gas and electric. There are some excellent electric units at the commercial level, that might be better than an Old Hickory.

If you are in an urban, or multi-story building you will also want to consider the effects and costs of ventilation, relative to smell and smoke nuisance. Just some factors. I agree with Bubba, that having a discreet ventilation for the smoker itself will be cheaper in the long run, as you are not running the hood all night.

I used my CookShack SM150 Smoker, under a hood for years . Won't cook as much as my Lang 84 but that stays outside for large cooks.

Hi, I like Ole Hickory down in Cape Girardeau, MO which is about 1.5 hours drive down I-55 from St. Louis. They have many choices and the expertise to help out. I can't stress enough that they need to contact the health department but even more important is zoning. They are the ones who will give ultimate approval. Just b/c they are buying an existing restaurant doesn't mean they are zoned to be able to blow smoke. Smoking up a residential area can be a huge issue! I doubt the insurance carrier will care as long as the smoker is UL approved and installed properly.

Hope this helps.

Back