Traeger Quality

Charcoal_Addict

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I was looking at the Traeger Pellet smoker as a 2nd grill to compliment my Kamado Joe but reading reviews around the web many people don't seem very happy with the new models that are now made China.

Thermostat issues, Temp issues and all sorts defects seem to be plauging the current Traeger line up. The only challenge is trying to find alternative pellet smoker in the Canadian market. Everyone seem to just carry the Traeger.

Which pellet smokers would you guys be looking at as alternatives to Traeger?

I'm thinking I may have to take a road trip to Montana to take a peak at a Yoder.

Last edited:
I was looking at the Traeger Pellet smoker as a 2nd grill to compliment my Kamado Joe but reading reviews around the web many people don't seem very happy with the new models that are now made China.

Thermostat issues, Temp issues and all sorts defects seem to be plauging the current Traeger line up. The only challenge is trying to find alternative pellet smoker in the Canadian market. Everyone seem to just carry the Traeger.

Which pellet smokers would you guys be looking at as alternatives to Traeger?

Try checking out Louisiana Grills. They're actually a Canadian company and make a fine product from what I hear. I have also heard very good things about Memphis Grills. I'm sure you should be able to find both brands in Edmonton.

I have a traeger and its ok nothing special. When I got it I upgraded the contoler to the digital with multiple settings and it has worked good for me so far. I havnt replaced any parts knock on wood but its like any of the cheaper smokers the light gauge metal will wear out over time but it can be a good starter.

Thats said looking back I would definatly go for a Yoder if I had to do it again from a quality and versitility stand point.

I have a lil tex elite and it is perfect for me. I do not cook large quantites and I still have my weber if I need to sear anything. Traegger at the time of purchase fit my needs. That being said now I want a xl BGE.

All the suggestions here based on my own research are sound ones. After I finish spending my life savings on the deck I'm building I will be looking to buy a Rec Tec pellet grill. Seems to be a solid well built smoker with no complaints that I have ever seen and at a decent price point as well.

I was gifted a Traeger that needed a bit of repair. After spending $100 on it, I was able to get it up and running and it does a solid job.

MY PROBLEM though is after every cook I need to empty the hopper of pellets and leave the pit running until it has burned everything all out. Otherwise it the pellets will bind up and I have to tear the entire feeder unit apart. That would be my only complaint.

The bigger thing that is really impressing me is how solid the Yoder really is. I'm doing some research on the Louisiana Grill which appears to be avaiable at Trail Applicances in Canada.

The Louisiana Grill also looks pretty solid. I'll be taking a serious look at the Louisiana Grill as well. Granted the Yoder is a bit more of a looker than the Lousianna Grill.

I love my KJ, but when want to throw a party there's only so much you can stuff into a Kamado. This will really provide some extra space to fire up some more eats.

I've been a Traeger owner since 1995 and I believe the new ones cook much better than the old ones. I had an original roll top BBQ 100 and my new Lil Tex cooked so much better that I sold the 100. Take it for what it's worth.

The bigger thing that is really impressing me is how solid the Yoder really is. I'm doing some research on the Louisiana Grill which appears to be avaiable at Trail Applicances in Canada.

The Louisiana Grill also looks pretty solid. I'll be taking a serious look at the Louisiana Grill as well. Granted the Yoder is a bit more of a looker than the Lousianna Grill.

I love my KJ, but when want to throw a party there's only so much you can stuff into a Kamado. This will really provide some extra space to fire up some more eats.

Sounds like you're on the right track. Good luck and make sure you post some pictures when you bring your new baby home! :thumb:

Another vote for a yoder here. I have cooked on a few different brands of pellet grills including Traeger, but the Yoder is much, much nicer and yields a better product consistently.

I also own a KJ like you, a classic now and a Big Joe within a month or sooner. They compliment each other well. There are some things I just like better on the KJ like burgers, seared steaks, etc. And then some stuff I prefer on the Yoder, chicken breast, wings, pork loin, etc. Both smoke very well. The KJ does give more of a smoke flavor due to its efficiency, but the Yoder does give more smoke flavor that some other pellet grills IMO. Plus you get all of that added space when you need it. I've smoked 6 whole pork bellies in my Yoder at the same time. That's not anywhere near possible in my KJ.

Both cookers get very frequent use around here and they never have dust settle on them.

Just my experience (s).... A good buddy bought 1 & also my Father In Law in the past year or so.... Both failed & quit on them in the middle of cooking.... They both got replacement parts quickly & said the Customer Service was pretty good though.

Check out pelletheads.com They have a comprehensive list of manufacturers with detailed performance testing, happy reading.

Back